Simon Fraser University
In the place where innovative education, cutting-edge research and community outreach intersect, you'll find Simon Fraser University. Our vision? To be Canada's leading engaged university.
Born in 1965, SFU has become Canada's leading comprehensive university with vibrant campuses in British Columbia's largest municipalities — Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey — and deep roots in partner communities throughout the province and around the world.
Located in Canada on British Columbia's west coast and named for an early explorer, Simon Fraser University opened on September 9, 1965 with 2,500 students.
Noted Canadian architects Arthur Erickson and Geoffrey Massey designed the original Burnaby Mountain campus to foster interdisciplinary contact between students and researchers. That same openness and desire to innovate informs SFU’s current vision: to be Canada's most community-engaged research university.
Now boasting three distinctive campuses, 30,000 students, 6,500 faculty and staff, and more than 160,000 alumni, SFU has matured into one of the world’s leading teaching and research universities.
Consistently ranked among Canada’s top comprehensive universities and named to the Times Higher Education list of 100 world universities under 50, SFU is also the first Canadian member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the world’s largest college sports association.
At SFU, students aren’t “end-users” to be trained and delivered, but partners in learning, discovery, and community engagement.
In addition to critical thinking and research skills, we help them to gain practical experience, social aptitudes, and civic understanding not only to be job-ready but also to be life-ready.
Our new vision commits SFU to become a world leader in knowledge mobilization, renowned for its capacity to disseminate knowledge and to harness new ideas and innovations for the benefit of society.
That commitment rests on a solid foundation of, and continuing commitment to, fundamental research.
If students are SFU’s starting point, the community is our destination. Whether by preparing adaptable, high-functioning citizens or by sharing and mobilizing knowledge, SFU celebrates service.
We will contribute all of our capacities, from people to properties, to develop healthier and more vibrant communities.
Words into action
After much discussion and reflection, we have created a vision that I believe is authentic and distinct. Now the real work begins.
The potential of this vision rests with you: SFU students, staff, faculty, alumni, supporters, and community partners.
I invite you to think about how you can contribute—and the benefits you can derive—from joining the collective enterprise to realize SFU’s potential as the leading engaged university.
Ranking / Awards
- #1 Canadian comprehensive university — Maclean’s University Rankings. SFU has ranked first every year in the comprehensive university category, with the exception of 2014, when we ranked second.
- SFU named #1 in global university rankings for impact on sustainable cities and communities (Times Higher Education 2020 University Impact Rankings)
- In the Times Higher Education 2020 World University Rankings, SFU is tied for 11th place in Canada.
- Top 1% worldwide ranking (QS World University rankings)
- As one of Canada's top research-intensive universities, Simon Fraser University consistently ranks among Canada's top 15 research universities in major global and national university ranking systems.
- SFU ranks 13th in Canada in the latest QS World University Rankings, ranking 8th in Canada for citations per faculty. SFU consistently ranks in the top 200 worldwide for research impact.
- Type of Accommodation: On Campus
- 8888 University Drive Burnaby, B.C. Canada V5A 1S6
- To know more contact PSA toll free number 18002585772
Perched atop Burnaby Mountain, Simon Fraser University's original Arthur Erickson-designed campus now includes more than three dozen academic buildings and is flanked by UniverCity, a flourishing sustainable residential community.
Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus is a vibrant community hub located in the heart of one of Canada’s fastest-growing cities. Close to the Surrey Central transit station, the dramatic Bing Thom-designed campus is conveniently situated between Metro Vancouver and communities south of the Fraser River.
Vancouver (Harbour Centre)
Described by the Vancouver Sun as the "intellectual heart of the city," Simon Fraser University’s Vancouver campus transformed the landscape of urban education in downtown Vancouver. The campus is comprised of multiple facilities clustered in the core of one of the world’s most liveable cities.