International Relations PhD
The Department of Politics, Philosophy and Religion (PPR) welcomes disciplinary, interdisciplinary, and post-disciplinary research proposals from those seeking to undertake MPhil or PhD research programme in International Relations.
Our MPhil variant culminates in the writing of a 40,000-word thesis, whereas our PhD programme culminates in an 80,000-word thesis. The PhD programme is formed of two parts:
- During the initial or ‘probationary’ period we encourage you to dedicate your time to research training and general preparation for the thesis. We offer you the opportunity to take research training modules covering research skills and key concepts, theories and approaches in the sub-field in which you intend to write your thesis. During this period you would also be expected to write a literature review and begin the process of writing your thesis.
- During the final phase, which is subject to confirmation by an Upgrade Panel, you will complete your research, write the remainder of your thesis, and prepare for submission and examination.
PPR has a lively research culture, including stimulating weekly research seminars. In addition, you are encouraged to participate in faculty-wide workshops and research programmes. We also encourage all researchers to make links with other departments across the university.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Access help and advice, search for opportunities, see what events are taking place, apply for the Lancaster Award, explore further study options and other pathways to your future career.
Careers and Employability is open. All of our services are now available remotely.
You can book telephone or video appointments with our Careers Team, attend online workshops, send us a query and access all of our resources online. Information on how to access all of our services is available via this link.
International students bring a wealth of experience to the University and can offer a valuable insight into global careers. Support for international students is available from Lancaster University Careers Service.
PSW is 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Bachelor's degree at least 3 years in length with at least 60% overall, with at least 55% in each year (year 2 onwards)*.
Indian Standard XII English at 80% or above
English language requirements for the majority of our Master courses:
IELTS Academic test (UKVI Approved) with an overall score of at least 7.0, with a minimum of 6.0 in each element; or
IELTS Academic test (Other Centres) with an overall score of at least 7.0, with a minimum of 6.0 in each element; or
Pearson PTE Academic with a score of at least 65 and a minimum of 50 in each component of the test; or
ToEFL IBT with an overall score of at least 94, with a minimum of 19 in reading, 19 in listening, 19 in speaking and 22 in writing
The English language requirements for PhD:
IELTS Academic test (UKVI Approved) with an overall score of at least 7.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in each element; or
IELTS Academic test (Other Centres) with an overall score of at least 7.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in each element; or
Pearson PTE Academic with a score of at least 73 and a minimum of 50 in each component of the test; or
ToEFL IBT with an overall score of at least 102, with a minimum of 19 in reading, 19 in listening, 19 in speaking and 22 in writing
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- Marketing PhD at Lancaster University
- Management Science PhD (Integrated) at Lancaster University
- Management Science PhD at Lancaster University
- Management (Organisation, Work and Technology) PhD at Lancaster University
- Management (Entrepreneurship and Strategy) PhD at Lancaster University
- Economics PhD (Integrated) at Lancaster University