Master of Engineering (By Research)
Develop your knowledge and focus your practical skills on a specific research area in engineering with the Master of Engineering (by Research).
As part of this course you'll increase your knowledge and practical skills with a research project in a specific area of engineering.
Our College of Engineering and Science has high-tech engineering labs and a very strong research community.
In the latest Excellence in Research for Australia results we were rated:
- 'well above world standard' in electrical and electronic engineering
- 'above world standard' in engineering overall.
VU’s engineering research areas include:
- advanced food systems (including biotechnology, chemical, analytical and polymer science)
- applied ecology
- alternative energy
- engineered packaging and distribution (including thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, vibrations and dynamics, chemical, analytical and polymer science)
- structural mechanics and materials (including sustainable buildings)
- smart energy
- telecommunications, electronics, photonics and sensors
- water resources.
Footscray Park Campus is next to parklands along the Maribyrnong River, a short walk from Footscray Station. Footscray is one of Melbourne’s multicultural hubs, only 10 minutes by train from the city. The campus has restaurants and cafes, learning commons, world-class sports science facilities, a bookshop, and a pool and gym. It hosts many of our degree and postgraduate courses, including in business, sport, youth and community work, science, engineering and education.
Located in the fastest growing area of Melbourne, our Werribee Campus is a part of a modern technology precinct. Werribee Campus has specialised facilities for teaching and research, including major research centres for water treatment, food science, biomedical science and fire safety. Our students and researchers make major contributions to the local and international scientific community.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Prepare for a career researching and developing engineering solutions.
You may find a role in government or the private sector in one of the following, depending on your specialisation:
- power generation, transmission, distribution, management and control
- managing, designing and developing telecommunication network systems
- microelectronic and electronic design
- water-related government organisations and private firms.
The Master of Engineering (by Research) will prepare you for one of these roles:
- research assistant
- research technician.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Bachelor's degree Completed with an overall average of all subjects (in the final year) 70%.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
You will need to provide evidence that you have achieved one of the following levels of English language proficiency :
- IELTS (academic module): Overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6.0)
- TOEFL Internet: Test score of 79. Section score no less than:
> Listening: 19
> Speaking: 19
> Reading: 18
> Writing: 22
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Overall score of 58-64 (with no section score less than 50)
- University of Cambridge - Advanced (CAE): Overall score of 176. No individual band less than 169.
- VU English - English for Academic Purposes (EAP) (Level 6): Achieved.
IELTS, TOEFL, PTE and CAE: These tests must be taken no more than two years prior to commencing your course.
In some cases, we will accept test results from other methods of examination not listed in this table.
- Course Code: 002875K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A