Master of Petroleum Engineering Science
Prepare to lead in global resources
Our new Master of Petroleum Engineering Science will not only place you at this in-demand discipline’s cutting edge, but equip you to shape its future. This cross-disciplinary degree is suitable for petroleum engineering bachelor or honours graduates wishing to advance their skills, or honours graduates in other engineering fields seeking to change career paths.
What will you do?
Completed over one to two years full-time (depending on your previous qualifications and professional experience), the degree features an engaging blend of face-to-face tuition, in-the-field application and online learning.
It’s developed and taught by world-class, industry-trained and research-active academics through our Australian School of Petroleum and Energy Resources (ASPER)—Australia’s only school of its kind, and the leading centre for integrated petroleum research and education throughout the Asia Pacific region.
The wide-ranging and internationally informed curriculum draws on ASPER’s strong collaborations with industry and other leading universities around the world. It also includes a significant research project. You will graduate with:
deep knowledge and understanding of contemporary global petroleum engineering developments, including reservoir simulation, uncertainty modelling, enhanced oil recovery, advanced geomechanics and the application of machine learning to petroleum engineering.
wide-ranging skills in evaluating, selecting and using appropriate, environmentally responsible methods and techniques in drilling, reservoir and production engineering
advanced skills in investigating, analysing and solving complex petroleum engineering problems using best-practice methods, including data analytics
highly developed research planning and execution skills, and the ability to apply research principles and methods in the field
outstanding interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
Regular interaction with ASPER’s world-recognised staff and guest industry presenters will also ensure you emerge with a sound base of international connections and real-world insight.
Where could it take you?
You will emerge ready to play a senior role in the upstream petroleum industry anywhere in the world. You may also choose to take your research further with a PhD.
The campus provides a mix of the historical and contemporary, combining old sandstone buildings with state-of-the-art teaching, learning and research facilities.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There are three key steps you will need to take when addressing the selection criteria in any University of Adelaide job application:
- Create a new document. Your statement addressing the position’s specified selection criteria should be separate from your cover letter and resume.
- List each criterion separately. Give each a title, using exactly the same wording as appears on the Position Description (e.g. Excellent verbal communication skills).
- Address each criterion. Under each heading, write two short paragraphs explaining how your experience, skills, education and training equip you to meet that specific requirement. Dot points are also acceptable.
Please note that failing to submit a statement addressing the selection criteria could result in your application not being considered.
Some helpful writing tips
There are a number of steps you can take when putting together your responses to increase their clarity and impact.
- Give details of one or two specific things you’ve done that are good examples of the relevant experience or knowledge required. For example: ‘I was responsible for organising an event attended by… This involved…'
- Preface these examples with a short overview that shows you appreciate the relevance of the specific criterion.
- Quantify your experience (number of years worked, staff supervised, etc.). For example: ‘I delivered a presentation to an industry forum with an audience of 80 people.’
- Where possible, indicate how successfully you meet the criterion. You could do this by referring to feedback from others, or things you've set up that are still being used. For example: ‘A report I wrote about… was endorsed by the… Committee and circulated to all stakeholders for discussion.
You could also consider using the STAR method as a structural framework when describing examples of your work. This involves describing, in the order listed here, the:
- situation you faced
- task required, and desired outcome
- action you took to complete the task
- results you achieved, and lessons you learned.
Petroleum Engineer, Petroleum Exploration, Petroleum Manager, Drilling Engineer, Engineer
The additional year of post study work rights is not available to international students studying in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.
Bachelor Degree or Masters by Coursework Degree - 2 years - 3 years (Adelaide)
Masters by Research - 3 years - 4 years (Adelaide)
PhD qualification - 4 years - 5 years (Adelaide)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry to postgraduate coursework programs as a minimum requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification from an approved institution as a qualification for entry.
Some of the graduate certificates and graduate diplomas that are offered may be accepted as qualifying work for entry to a Masters program, or as professional qualifications in their own right.
IELTS Overall 6.5 Reading 6 Listening 6 Speaking 6 Writing 6
TOEFL Overall 79 Reading 20 Listening 20 Speaking 23 Writing 27
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) or equivalent in a discipline other than Petroleum Engineering or relevant work experience.
Bachelor of Engineering or equivalent in Petroleum Engineering or relevant work experience.
- Course Code: 101358
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Petroleum Engineering at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Biopharmaceutical Engineering at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Machine Learning at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Computing and Innovation - Melbourne Campus at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Software Engineering at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Property at The University of Adelaide