UMass Boston’s Counseling master’s program focuses on a series of general counseling courses, as well as school counseling courses to prepare you for a career as a school counselor. It’s designed for people interested in pursuing an advanced degree and state licensure to work in school systems whereas the Mental Health Counseling master’s program is designed for people interested in working in mental health agencies and hospitals.
The program begins with a two-week in-person study at or near the UMass Boston campus where you’ll get to know your cohort and complete the first two clinical courses (6 credits) of your degree. Throughout the program, you’ll get hands-on experience through supervised fieldwork in local schools where you reside. At the end of the program, you will be eligible to apply for licensure to work as a school counselor in Massachusetts provided you complete internship in Massachusetts.**
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
- 12 to 36 months( OPT duration depends on the major studied)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- A completed application and fee.
- Two letters of recommendation where at least one letter should be from a person who knows your academic work. We strongly recommend getting letters from professors whenever possible but we will accept a letter of recommendation from a supervisor if you have been out of a school for some time.
- A statement of purpose detailing your goals, professional experience, and reasons for applying to the program. Your essay should consist of your reasons for wishing to pursue graduate study in 300 words (part 1). Then, indicate your specific interests and discuss the kind of work you would like to do in your intended field in no more than 1200 words (part 2).
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from all the universities you attended. All transcripts must be official and sealed.
- We require the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test from all applicants. However, the School Counseling program may waive the GREs if you hold a master’s degree before starting our program. Please note that we will waive the GRE requirement only after Graduate Admissions receives your official transcripts and verifies your degree. We do not accept the MATs and the Psychology GRE test is not required.
- All school counseling applicants who want licensure in the state of Massachusetts must complete the MTEL test (Communication & Literacy Skills—-reading and writing) by the application deadline or any time before the end of their first year at UMass Boston. If you reside in another state, please confirm with your respective state’s licensing board.
- Please include an updated résumé. The school counseling professors will conduct on-campus and online interviews with prospective students.
- Optional: writing sample if your GRE writing score is low.
- Please note that the MEd program in school counseling start term is summer.
- Course Type: Online
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 100 USD
- Special Education MEd at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Rehabilitation Counseling (MS) at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Middle/Secondary Education MEd at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Instructional Design MEd at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Global Governance and Human Security, MA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Elementary Education MEd at University of Massachusetts Boston