Master of Science Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
The Master of Science in Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology provides the student with an in depth and comprehensive course of study in applied sport and exercise psychology designed to help enhance the sports participation and performance of athletes and coaches. The overall aim of the course is to educate specialists in the field of Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology. Graduates will have the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to work in the area of enhancing sports performance, sports participation and best practice at a variety of age and performance levels.
Graduates will have the ability to further the psychological development of athletes, coaches, teachers and other specialists from a broad-based, sound theoretical and applied course. Applied sports psychology focuses on teaching skills to enhance athletic performance such as goal setting and imagery. If you enjoy helping athletes and people achieve their full sporting and exercise potential, solving complex problems and working as part of a team, this field might be an ideal match for you. The MSc has been designed to bridge the gap in the culture of Irish sport at all levels of development from introducing children to sport to elite performance. Until now there has been an absence of opportunities for athletes, coaches, Physical Education teachers, Sports Science Graduates, Sports Leaders, Sports Development Officers, Volunteers and Exercise Specialists to upgrade knowledge and develop applied skills in the area of Sport Psychology. A taught MSc offers graduates of sports science, recreation, physical education and psychology a pathway towards enhancing their professional development within the sports environment.
The aim of the MSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology provides the graduates with the ability to:
- Consult with athletes and teams with a view to providing psychological skills training appropriate to the individual and commensurate with their level of participation.
- Consult with organizations, individuals and exercise professionals with regards to exercise psychology skills training and consultation.
- Organise and operate workshops for coaches, teachers and exercise specialist in aspects of sport and exercise psychology.
- Guide and advise clubs, schools, coaches, parents and athletes in the application of sport psychology theories and practices and assist NGBs in the area of planning and implementing policy relating to participation, performance and periodisation of the training from a psychological perspective.
- Provide an arena for sports people to engage in reflective assessment of their involvement in sports, exercise and future developments.
- Plan and conduct research in sport and exercise psychology.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- A bachelors degree at honours level (Level 8) in the areas of sports science, recreation and sport or physical education OR A bachelors degree at honors level (Level 8) in psychology or a related discipline and a level of significant performance and/or coaching experience in sport accompanied by necessary qualifications OR Equivalent qualification, accreditation may be given to prior learning and previous sporting experience.
- WIT wishes to carefully evaluate applications from non-standard applicants. The number of places available on the course will be limited therefore an interview process may be required in the student selection procedure.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD523
- Course Type: Blended
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Master of Science Computing (Enterprise Software Systems) at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Master of Science Computing (Information Systems Processes) at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Master of Science Analytical Science with Quality Management at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Master of Arts Applied Spirituality at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Master of Arts Advanced Facilitation Skills for Promoting Health and Well Being at Waterford Institute of Technology
- MSc in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Motivational Interviewing (MI) for Practice at Waterford Institute of Technology