Bachelor of Science Food Science & Innovation
What is Food Science?
Food science is the multidisciplinary study of food ingredients and food products. Food scientists have a role in all aspects of the food chain from production at farm level to consumption. They use their scientific knowledge to ensure that the production, processing, preservation, evaluation, and distribution of food are efficient and safe.
What is the BSc in Food Science and Innovation?
This is a four year, full time honours degree which can be chosen within the WD002 - Bachelor of Science (Hons) Common Entry Route. The modules in this course bring together science, business, enterprise and the culinary arts responding to the needs of the food industry. The degree will train you in food manufacture, analysis and safety in addition to business, marketing and innovation, giving you key skills for your future career. The programme includes real industrial type tasks such as market research, business plan development, product innovation and manufacture, and show casing of new products.
What subjects will I study?
At the outset there is a strong emphasis on the sciences such as biology, chemistry and physics to provide you with a good basis for the following years. In years 2, 3, 4 you will study specialist modules in food chemistry, processing, microbiology and quality management, business, marketing and innovation. In year 4 you will study cross-disciplinary modules bringing together science, business, innovation and culinary arts. Fourth year students will undertake a product innovation project to develop a food product idea from inception through its technical formulation, marketing and package development.
What are the unique features of BSc in Food Science and Innovation?
You will learn a lot of practical skills in WIT laboratories and in year 4 you will learn practical culinary skills in the WIT training kitchens. The multidisciplinary approach to the programme ensures you will gain the competencies for all aspects of the food industry. We have close links with industry and the Teagasc Food Research Centres, as well as a research active staff, which ensure you will be exposed to the innovative food research and technologies currently employed within the Irish food industry.
BSc in Food Science and Innovation industrial placement
A twelve week industrial placement in the food industry occurs in the third year of the course. This is supported by our food industry partners and is seen as critical to the overall learning experience and development of the students. The industrial placement will be organised by WIT staff and monitored by both the employer and WIT staff, with the student keeping a reflective work log. Work placement can be organised for Ireland or abroad.
The Industrial Placement will allow learners to apply and develop their skills in the food industry. The placement is designed to meet the needs of industry whilst providing the student with a broader skills-base. It is envisaged that the practical element of employment will complement the course content and help develop skills that are essential in today’s work environment.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD002 FOO
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Creative Computing at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Multimedia Applications Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Forensics and Security at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Computing (Media Development) at Waterford Institute of Technology