Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science
Earn an Exercise Science BS degree in the:
- Exercise and Fitness Management Option – Students acquire knowledge in exercise science, public health, nutrition, and business to pursue careers in the fitness industry. Students could choose to earn a minor in business to apply toward UMass Lowell’s MBA program.
- Clinical Option – Students gain a strong foundation in the sciences to work in clinical settings and take the certification examinations by the American College of Sports Medicine or the National Strength and Conditioning Association. Students would choose this option if they want to apply to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program.
UMass Lowell is located in historic mill city of Lowell, Mass., 45-minutes north of Boston, at the intersections of Routes 495, 93 and 3. The birthplace of Jack Kerouac and the Industrial Revolution, Lowell's history echoes all around you. Former mill buildings and cobblestone streets now add charm to a bustling downtown, steps away from the UMass Lowell campus, which boasts a thriving arts scene, a population rich in cultural diversity, and a flair for festivals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The undergraduate Exercise Science curriculum at UMass Lowell has a strong foundation in the sciences and meets all general education requirements of the university.
Graduates of the BS in Exercise Science Clinical Option work in:
- Corporate or private fitness settings
- Strength and conditioning settings
- Research facilities
- Clinical settings caring for patients with cardiac, pulmonary, and metabolic conditions.
Graduates of the BS in Exercise Science Fitness Management Option work in:
- Corporate or private fitness settings
- Wellness Centers
- Public Health or public policy centers
3 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
First-year students entering in fall 2018 had an average GPA of 3.59 and an average combined Evidence Based Reading and Math SAT score of 1239 (ACT equivalent 26). Along with all other public universities and colleges in the Massachusetts system, UMass Lowell is not using the Writing Score.
Admissions counselors and policy makers are sensitive to the factors that may result in accomplished students having a lower-than-expected GPA or SAT score. The applications of students who don’t meet the standards, but for whom UMass Lowell otherwise seems like a good match, are reviewed individually.
- You are considered a freshman if you have not taken any post-secondary/college coursework. Your application should include your high school or secondary school records, including results from culminating or leaving examinations. Scores from the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) or the American College Test (ACT) will be required, along with an essay and a letter of recommendation. The CEEB code number for UMass Lowell is 3911. There is also a no-test option for available to freshmen applicants.
- International freshman applicants may use the no-test option and waive the SAT or ACT and TOEFL or IELTS exams if your secondary institution provides written verification that the means of instruction is in English, you are enrolled in an IB curriculum, attend an American School or are enrolled in a curriculum that leads to Cambridge International Examinations: IGCSE/O-Level and GCE/A level exam. Please note that additional essays are required of freshman applicants who choose the no-test option.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 60 USD
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Physics at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Meteorology & Atmospheric Science at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science - Geoscience at University of Massachusetts Lowell