PhD in Creative Arts (Integrated)
Learn best-practice research methods before you begin an academic thesis, or major creative project supported by original research.
Our integrated program allows graduates without sufficient research experience to undertake a PhD in Creative Arts.
Integrated PhD in Creative Arts program
We’ll give you intensive coaching in ethical research techniques for a year. After passing the coursework and thesis with a 70% average, you’ll begin your own original research, finishing your PhD in the standard four years.
We offer an advanced research program for our doctoral degree in the arts, across our research focus areas.
The PhD in Creative Arts includes:
- producing a creative work informed by substantial research
- an accompanying analytical written component or exegesis (thesis by creative project)
- a component of required coursework, usually undertaken in the first year
- participation in both formal and informal learning opportunities.
- You'll learn to present your research in a wide variety of contexts such as:
refereed academic outlets appropriate to your field (e.g. ranked journals, academic conferences, book chapters, monographs)
public presentation to broader audiences.
Footscray Park Campus is next to parklands along the Maribyrnong River, a short walk from Footscray Station. Footscray is one of Melbourne’s multicultural hubs, only 10 minutes by train from the city. The campus has restaurants and cafes, learning commons, world-class sports science facilities, a bookshop, and a pool and gym. It hosts many of our degree and postgraduate courses, including in business, sport, youth and community work, science, engineering and education.
St Albans Campus
Our St Albans Campus is a hub for health and nutrition research. It also specialises in arts and science programs. Our nursing and biomedical science students complete a large part of their studies at the new teaching and research centre at Sunshine Hospital alongside medical professionals. The campus has a modern community feel and is set in gardens of native grasses and gum trees. It’s a relaxed, friendly place to study, with a children’s centre, a gym, and award-winning architecture.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Become an independent, competent and highly sought-after researcher, equipped to pursue a research career in relevant industries and/or to become an academic.
As a Doctor of Philosophy graduate, you will be expected to demonstrate a scholarly and enquiring mind, and strong capabilities in:
- research conceptualisation and design including reviewing of the literature;
- the marshalling and critical analysis of data and evidence, and
- conceptual innovation in order to make a significant new contribution to knowledge and society; and
- deep disciplinary immersion and broad interdisciplinary literacy, including methodological literacy.
- 4 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Master’s degree with thesis;
- admissible bachelor degree Completed with a degree classification (as awarded on degree certificate) of first Division with Distinction (70%).
English Language Requirement
Achieved an IELTS (Academic Module) result with an overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6) or equivalent and completed a qualification at AQF level 8 or above, typically in a cognate discipline (including a qualification without minor thesis), with Honours or its equivalent at a high standard.
- Course Code: 088581B
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A