Master of Music (Performance Studies)
Our Master of Music (Performance Studies) challenges you to reach the highest standards of professional performance. It’s an intensive, skill-based degree focusing on traditional approaches to classical or jazz performance.
What will you do?
- Advance technical mastery within your specialisation.
- Benefit from weekly one-to-one lessons with performance staff.
- Prepare and present programs of major repertoire.
- Study leading twentieth century and contemporary composers.
- Negotiate your own learning outcomes and modes of assessment for creative projects.
- Develop advanced solo and ensemble performance skills.
Where could it take you?
You might travel the globe as an orchestral musician. You could grace the stage of every jazz venue in New Orleans and New York. Perhaps you’ll curate concerts, teach in private studios or find international stardom as a soloist.
The campus provides a mix of the historical and contemporary, combining old sandstone buildings with state-of-the-art teaching, learning and research facilities.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There are three key steps you will need to take when addressing the selection criteria in any University of Adelaide job application:
- Create a new document. Your statement addressing the position’s specified selection criteria should be separate from your cover letter and resume.
- List each criterion separately. Give each a title, using exactly the same wording as appears on the Position Description (e.g. Excellent verbal communication skills).
- Address each criterion. Under each heading, write two short paragraphs explaining how your experience, skills, education and training equip you to meet that specific requirement. Dot points are also acceptable.
Please note that failing to submit a statement addressing the selection criteria could result in your application not being considered.
Some helpful writing tips
There are a number of steps you can take when putting together your responses to increase their clarity and impact.
- Give details of one or two specific things you’ve done that are good examples of the relevant experience or knowledge required. For example: ‘I was responsible for organising an event attended by… This involved…'
- Preface these examples with a short overview that shows you appreciate the relevance of the specific criterion.
- Quantify your experience (number of years worked, staff supervised, etc.). For example: ‘I delivered a presentation to an industry forum with an audience of 80 people.’
- Where possible, indicate how successfully you meet the criterion. You could do this by referring to feedback from others, or things you've set up that are still being used. For example: ‘A report I wrote about… was endorsed by the… Committee and circulated to all stakeholders for discussion.
You could also consider using the STAR method as a structural framework when describing examples of your work. This involves describing, in the order listed here, the:
- situation you faced
- task required, and desired outcome
- action you took to complete the task
- results you achieved, and lessons you learned.
Graduates from this program have various performance opportunities in public and private practice, and often undertake teaching in the private studio.
Music Coordinator, Music Festival Director, Music Journalist / Music Critic, Music Researcher, Musician, Musician / Singer
The additional year of post study work rights is not available to international students studying in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.
Bachelor Degree or Masters by Coursework Degree - 2 years - 3 years (Adelaide)
Masters by Research - 3 years - 4 years (Adelaide)
PhD qualification - 4 years - 5 years (Adelaide)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry to postgraduate coursework programs as a minimum requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification from an approved institution as a qualification for entry.
Some of the graduate certificates and graduate diplomas that are offered may be accepted as qualifying work for entry to a Masters program, or as professional qualifications in their own right.
IELTS Overall 6.5 Reading 6.5 Listening 6.5 Speaking 7 Writing 7
- Course Code: 064439F
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Philosophy at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Music Therapy at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Media (Strategic Communication) at The University of Adelaide
- Master of International Security at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Immersive Media Technologies at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Arts (Studies in Art History) at The University of Adelaide