Graduate Diploma in Creative Writing
Designed for experienced writers, you will work towards developing a manuscript – fiction, poetry, script or non-fiction – appropriate for submission to a publisher. Receive excellent mentoring and assessment from experienced writers and valuable feedback from workshopping with other students.
You can enrol on the Graduate Diploma in Creative Writing as a stand-alone one year, full-time diploma, or it can be credited towards the third year of the Bachelor of Applied Arts (Creative Writing).
Work with your tutor on:
- craft and technique within your chosen genre
- strengthening the idea
- taking imaginative risk
- understanding the writing process
- planning and research
- reading and critique within your selected genre
- rewriting and editing
- knowledge and appreciation of the publishing/production process
The courses are delivered full-time over two trimesters and consist of one 15 credit course, two 30 credit courses and one 45 credit course.
Writing Process (30 credits)
To assist writers to undertake the planning and development of a writing project
Writing Project: Workshop (30 credits)
To assist writers to strengthen their critiquing skills by analysing their peers’ work and a selection of works by published authors. To advance analytical skills necessary for developing the writer’s own work.
Writing Project: Manuscript (45 credits)
To consolidate technical and creative skills to produce a major writing project of a standard suitable to submit to a publisher.
Revising and rewriting (15 credits)
To develop analytical skill for the critique of a writer’s own work and revise work in response to critical analysis.
Our cross-genre classes provide a large amount of self-directed time for writing as well as structure and support for a first time manuscript writer. They are delivered as either a monthly weekend class or a weekly class. At the time of application these options will be discussed with you.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Under Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A
- New Zealand Diploma in Creativity (Level 5) at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Photography (Level 5) at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Radio Broadcasting (Level 5) at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Performing Arts - Musical Theatre at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Drama (L6) at WHITIREIA
- New Zealand Diploma in Dance (L6) at WHITIREIA