Design Informatics MSc
Design informatics combines data science with design thinking in a context of critical enquiry and speculation.
The central premise of design informatics is that data is a medium for design: by shaping data, we shape the world around us. Data science provides the groundwork for this, with design thinking underpinning reflective research through design.
We build a value-aware, reflective practice at the interface between data and society by combining theory and research with an open-ended process of making and hacking.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
This degree will put you at the cutting edge of the intersection between data science, design, and information technology.
This will open a host of opportunities in working with companies, charities, and the public sector. We encourage entrepreneurship.
For those who wish to deepen their research practice, the course provides a solid foundation for a PhD in related areas.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in computer science, informatics, artificial intelligence, physics, engineering, psychology, philosophy, linguistics, or neuroscience.
Your application should show evidence of solid computer programming skills in a programming language; HTML and web design do not count, but relevant mathematical and statistical scripting languages such as R and Matlab do. This evidence can be either a certificate in a relevant MOOC, or a course in programming that you have successfully passed. If your degree involves a final project, your mark in that project should be a B or higher.
Your personal statement should discuss why you are interested in the programme, as outlined above and on the Centre for Design Informatics web site, your background or interest in design, art, and information visualisation, and your relevant programming skills.
Postgraduate entry requirements for students from India.
In order to qualify for entry to master’s study at the University of Edinburgh, you must have a good degree from a highly ranked university in India.
- Entry requirements will vary, depending on the intended programme of study. However, the minimum score you should have achieved is 60% or more in your Bachelor's study.
- We may also accept equivalent qualifications or work experience.
- Applicants who meet this minimum may be considered for entry and will be measured competitively against other applicants. For many of our programmes, competition is high and in the majority of cases, a very high First Class degree will be required. Certain programmes will also have specific requirements in terms of both the overall degree result and strengths in particular subjects which are seen as relevant to that degree.
Graduate entry to Medicine (MBChB)
Applicants with an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline will be considered for the 6 year programme.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- World Christianity MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- World Christianity MTh at The University of Edinburgh
- World Christianity MPhil at The University of Edinburgh
- Urban Strategies and Design MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Theology in History MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Theology in History MTh at The University of Edinburgh