Master of Public Administration
Under the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program, students develop the strong managerial, communication, and analytical skills that public and not-for-profit organizations are seeking. At UMass Lowell, a highly ranked research university, close partnerships with such organizations provide learning experiences that emphasize an ethic of public service, while faculty from several disciplines bring their expertise, and various perspectives, to the program.
Students may attend full- or part-time, and the program offers both on-campus and online courses.
UMass Lowell’s MPA program can help students transition to nonprofit management ranks from the for-profit sector, advance within a nonprofit or public agency or Non-Governmental Organization, or start a new job with the credentials - and depth of knowledge - necessary to advance.
UMass Lowell is located in historic mill city of Lowell, Mass., 45-minutes north of Boston, at the intersections of Routes 495, 93 and 3. The birthplace of Jack Kerouac and the Industrial Revolution, Lowell's history echoes all around you. Former mill buildings and cobblestone streets now add charm to a bustling downtown, steps away from the UMass Lowell campus, which boasts a thriving arts scene, a population rich in cultural diversity, and a flair for festivals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Alumni of the program include city managers, municipal department heads, health and human service workers, music and art educators, state government administrators, and founders of non-profit community based organizations.
Three areas of concentration prepare students well for nonprofit sectors that offer plentiful job opportunities:
- Human Services Management prepares students to assume managerial roles in public and nonprofit organizations that are focused on addressing the social, health, and mental health needs of a range of populations, with a particular focus on immigrant communities, the elderly, and the underserved.
- Justice Administration prepares students for careers in court administration, correctional systems (both community and institutional), law enforcement agencies, community-based agencies serving justice-involved populations, and policy research organizations focused on justice-related issues.
- Public Humanities and the Arts prepares students for management careers within cultural institutions, including those related to visual arts, theater, music, museums, and historic preservation.
3 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Prior study in public administration or another related field
- Relevant work experience
- Official transcript from previously earned degrees
- Official score from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) - waivers may be available for UMass Lowell alumni who graduated in the past five years with a 3.0 GPA or higher and are interested in applying to the MPA program
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- For applicants who earned their degree outside of the U.S., you do not need to have your transcript evaluated by a credentialing service such as WES or CED.
- English proficiency testing
- TOEFL minimum 79
- IELTS minimum 6.5
Statement of Purpose
In a separate document, submit a brief statement indicating your immediate and long-range goals, relevant work history, academic honors/awards received, any teaching experience and/or research conducted/published that may be pertinent to your graduate program. Two pages recommended maximum.
Letters of Recommendation
You are required to submit three (3) letters of recommendation. You will be asked to provide (names and email addresses) referees during the application process and an automated request will be sent out after the completion of your application.
Provide a complete and official transcript from the institution that awarded or will award you a bachelor’s degree. You may also include transcripts from other institutions at which you have taken relevant coursework. Please note that waiting for additional transcripts may delay review of your application.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 50 USD
- Master in Computer Science Entrepreneurship at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Business Administration - International Business at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Science - Health Information Management at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Business Administration - Finance at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Science in Finance at University of Massachusetts Lowell