Bachelor of Architecture (Honours) Architecture
What is Architecture?
‘Architecture involves everything that influences the way in which the built environment is planned, designed, made, used, furnished, landscaped and maintained’
- UNESCO/UIA charter for architectural education 2005
Why study Architecture at WIT
If you are a creative person who would like to be part of designing a better world you might like studying architecture. In WIT we are interested in sustainability, rural and urban landscapes; conservation and working with local communities. We are located in the City Centre campus at the Granary, opposite Garter Lane Arts Centre and not far from brilliant surfing beaches and the Commeragh Mountains.
The quality of life is good and affordable in Waterford. We are less than 2 hours form both Dublin and Cork. Our strong international links see many students from around the world coming to study with us. Our staff to student ratios are low ensuring dedicated time for each student. We have also introduced a work placement module which is unique in Ireland. You can take our programme part time or full time.
We have a strong Alumni who support each other and keep in touch with us. We are very proud of the WIT Architectural Community which we have helped to create.
What is the Bachelor of Architecture (Hons)?
It is a 5 year honours degree course, designed in accordance with national and international guidelines on architectural education. The B.Arch.(hons) in WIT was the first outside of Dublin to receive full accreditation by the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland (RIAI) in 2005. It is also recognized under European Directive 2005/36/EC. Studying architecture in an accredited programme is the first step towards becoming a registered professional architect.
Architectural education at WIT is primarily about developing within each student a ‘design mind’ so that they can bring together in a creative way the complex challenges facing the future world of construction. Students are introduced to design methodologies and work in a ‘learning through doing’ environment in the studio where they explore architectural designs growing in complexity as they progress through the various years. Students learn the importance of culture, climate and craft in developing design ideas. Feeding into these studio based projects are the supporting subjects grouped under the generic headings of ‘Cultural Context’, ‘Communications’, ‘Technology & the Environment’ and a suite of electives including Work Placement.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD144
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 05 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science Information Technology at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Architectural & Building Information Modelling Technology at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Architectural Technology at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Quantity Surveying at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Construction Management & Engineering at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Engineering Electrical Engineering at Waterford Institute of Technology