Bachelor of Communication (Journalism)
In today’s fast-paced digital age, we’ve never been hungrier for news – sharing it with the masses in real-time, as it happens. The Bachelor of Communication (Journalism) will give you the skills to unearth a great news story, engage with your audience, and deliver the news across a range of media platforms.
Do you want hands-on real-life newsroom experience while you study?
From day one, you'll have the opportunity to identify, research and plan news and feature stories, so you can write, edit and publish them straight from our newsroom and creative media labs on campus. Through industry experience, and guided by media practitioners with extensive experience across print, television, radio, and digital media, you’ll learn about:
- community journalism
- feature writing
- interview techniques
- media law and ethics
- multi-platform and broadcast journalism
- news reporting
- researching stories.
While developing your knowledge in communication and media, you'll also get sought-after broadcasting experience during your studies through an internship with a major newspaper, radio station, or television network.
Work Integrated Learning experiences are embedded within the course’s core units.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Our graduates work in-house or freelance for print, radio, television, and multimedia newsrooms. They also work in business, government and the not-for-profit sector, taking up roles as:
- advertising copywriters
- book, magazine or newspaper editors
- digital content managers
- digital marketing specialists
- food writers
- foreign correspondents
- magazine writers
- media and communications advisers
- news presenters
- social media coordinators
- travel writers.
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII):- 65%
Admission Requirements Specific Entry for applicants with recent secondary education (previous three years) will be based on their performance in a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, with pre-requisite units 3 and 4; a study score of at least 25 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 20 in English other than EAL. Applicants will be selected in accordance with the published Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for that year. Refer to the VTAC Guide for the latest pre-requisite information www.vtac.edu.au
Entry for applicants with previous Tertiary, VET, life, or work experience will be based on their performance in:
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline OR
- a Diploma in any discipline or 50% completion of a Diploma in a related discipline OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application
- Course Code: 083978K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Relations at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Communication (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science at Deakin University