Master of Public Health in Epidemiology
Epidemiologists are critical to the identification of public health hazards, and the evaluation of health systems data. Epidemiology and the closely related field of biostatistics are core disciplines of public health, and there continues to be a strong need for MPH professionals with expertise in these fields for both public and private health programs. The goal of this specialization is to produce practitioners who have a solid grasp of the fundamental principles of epidemiology and health statistics including study design, data analysis, assessment of bias, control of confounders, and exposure assessment.
The Epidemiology focus area of the MPH will prepare the graduate to:
- Conduct etiologic research for the wide array of different diseases:
- Design and operate surveillance systems and other databases gathering data on health and illness, as well as on risk factors and health behaviors.
- Participate as team members in the design and conduct of disease prevention and health promotion programs.
UMass Lowell is located in historic mill city of Lowell, Mass., 45-minutes north of Boston, at the intersections of Routes 495, 93 and 3. The birthplace of Jack Kerouac and the Industrial Revolution, Lowell's history echoes all around you. Former mill buildings and cobblestone streets now add charm to a bustling downtown, steps away from the UMass Lowell campus, which boasts a thriving arts scene, a population rich in cultural diversity, and a flair for festivals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
3 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- BA or BS degree, or senior-year status, with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- Grades of C or better is required prerequisite college-level courses. These include a minimum of one semester of statistics and one semester of either biology or anatomy and physiology. Applicants who are missing prerequisites may be admitted with the provision that they meet with their adviser before or during their first semester and develop a plan of study to complete the prerequisites during the first year.
- Applicants to the Nutrition option must have taken undergraduate courses in Human Nutrition.
- Applicants to the Dietetics option must earn grades of B- or better in the following college level prerequisite courses: Human Nutrition, Microbiology, Food Science, Medical Nutrition Therapy I and II, Nutrition and Metabolism, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Statistics, Biology or Anatomy and Physiology, and Psychology or Sociology or Anthropology.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are NOT required for the Master of Public Health program application.
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Applicants who earned their degree outside of the U.S. must have their transcript evaluated by a credentialing service such as WES or CED.
- English proficiency testing
- TOEFL minimum 79
- IELTS minimum 6.5
All doctoral and master’s degree programs at UMass Lowell require the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General Test, with the exception of the Master of Business Administration (MBA), which requires the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT).
The College of Education Initial Licensure Programs require copies of the appropriate MTEL scores. Other Master of Education and Education Specialist programs require proof of an initial or professional teacher license appropriate to the field. Not all M.Ed. and Ed.S. programs require the GRE. Doctoral programs in education require GRE scores.
Statement of Purpose
In a separate document, submit a brief statement indicating your immediate and long-range goals, relevant work history, academic honors/awards received, any teaching experience and/or research conducted/published that may be pertinent to your graduate program. Two pages recommended maximum.
Letters of Recommendation
You are required to submit three (3) letters of recommendation. You will be asked to provide (names and email addresses) referees during the application process and an automated request will be sent out after the completion of your application.
Provide a complete and official transcript from the institution that awarded or will award you a bachelor’s degree. You may also include transcripts from other institutions at which you have taken relevant coursework. Please note that waiting for additional transcripts may delay review of your application.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 50 USD
- Master of Science in Radiological Sciences at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Public Health - Population Health at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Science in Physics at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Biochemistry at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Public Health - Nutrition at University of Massachusetts Lowell