Bachelor of Environmental Science (Honours)
The Bachelor of Environmental Science (Honours) allows you to enhance your understanding of a chosen discipline within environmental science while building key research and transferable skills that enhance your employment options and prepare you for further study.
You’ve worked hard for your undergraduate degree. Why not take the next step with an honours degree that launches your career forward?
Honours is an optional year of specialised study that allows you to combine the theory and practical skills gained throughout your undergraduate studies. It’s an opportunity to showcase your expertise in a discipline you’re passionate about, and to develop invaluable research and life skills that will stay with you throughout your entire career.
With the support and supervision of experienced teachers who are leaders in their respective fields, you’ll be exposed to research of national and global significance in areas including:
- behaviour, ecology, evolution and ecophysiology
- ecological risk assessment
- environmental management and sustainability
- fisheries and aquaculture
- marine and freshwater biology
- wildlife and conservation biology.
The coursework component of the honours program equips you with essential knowledge in areas that underpin research – experimental design, quantitative analysis and scientific communication and ethics. The research project component enables you to develop the research skills necessary to investigate your area of interest.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Graduate with transferable skills that give you a competitive edge in the job market, including data analysis, critical thinking, and digital literacy. Your understanding of your chosen discipline, in addition to your highly advanced research skills, will set you up to succeed in further study and open up employment opportunities in roles such as:
- coastal project officer
- climate change campaigner
- fisheries officer
- laboratory scientist
- a park ranger or manager
- marine biologist
- sustainability consultant
- museum curator
- zoo biologist.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry will be based on performance in:
- a Bachelor degree or major in a related discipline with a WAM (Weighted Average Mark) of at least 65% in all level 3 and level 4 units (for Deakin awards) or final year units (for awards from other providers) OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent
Mandatory student checks
Any unit which contains work-integrated learning, a community placement, or interaction with the community may require a police check, Working with Children Check, or another check.
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 047023E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Marine Science at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences/Bachelor of Arts at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Forensic Science/Bachelor of Criminology at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) at Deakin University