Master of Earthquake Engineering
Earthquake engineers design new buildings and infrastructure to withstand disasters, and assess the vulnerability of existing buildings and infrastructure, drawing from expertise in structural and geotechnical engineering. The University of Auckland is internationally recognized for our strengths in these fields, putting us in the right position to deliver specialist professional capabilities to both New Zealand and internationally, where there are increasing population densities in seismic regions.
Recent earthquakes in Canterbury and Kaikoura have caused extensive damage to buildings, infrastructure, and the natural environment. Investigations into the post-disaster repair and reconstruction efforts have increased our understanding and specialist expertise, but also revealed major demands for earthquake engineers. In this case, the demands have exceeded the capacity of our engineering profession; this need is also reflected in many countries around the world.
The City Campus is right in the heart of Auckland. You are within walking distance of all the main cultural, entertainment and commercial hubs.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There is a growing need for civil engineers– specifically earthquake engineers – with capabilities in new construction, and the assessment and retrofit of existing buildings and infrastructure. Recent disasters in New Zealand alone dictate that highly skilled professionals will be in demand as investments in this field grow over the upcoming decades.
Jobs related to this program
- Earthquake engineer
- Project manager
- Seismic engineering consultant
- Senior geotechnical engineer
- Senior structural engineer
- Technical director
You can apply for a Post-study Work Visa for up to 3 years.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum program requirements
- Normally this requires a completed bachelor honors degree or postgraduate diploma from New Zealand, or an acceptable equivalent postgraduate qualification from a recognized university (or similar) overseas.
- An undergraduate degree
- GPE 5.0
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: 100 NZD
- Master of Robotics and Automation Engineering at University of Auckland
- Master of Architecture (Professional) and Urban Planning (Professional) at University of Auckland
- Master of Aerospace Engineering at University of Auckland
- Master of Marine Studies at University of Auckland
- Master of Information Technology at University of Auckland
- Master of Engineering Studies at University of Auckland