Master of Applied Linguistics and TESOL
UTS is a leading provider of postgraduate language and literacy courses, with academics who are published authors and internationally recognised experts in the field. This course meets the professional development needs of a wide range of English language teachers in Australia and internationally, teaching children, teenagers and adults.
The course focuses on contemporary models of language, learning and teaching. It caters to both those seeking an initial qualification in teaching English to adult speakers of other languages, and those who already possess a teaching qualification and wish to gain a specialist degree in the field. The course has both a strong focus on practice through the supervised teaching practicums, and an emphasis on recent developments in the field of language education. The course consists of subjects that equip teachers with skills and in-depth knowledge in the areas of teaching practice, pedagogical grammars, global Englishes, discourse analysis, phonology and pronunciation, language teaching technologies, language development, and language for specific purposes. This course is designed to meet the necessary professional requirements of the TESOL and applied linguistics fields. The course features flexible study options, with classes held at times suitable for students working standard full-time hours. Credit recognition may be available.
The course explicitly meets the needs of students working or wishing to work in the following contexts:
- working with migrants and Indigenous students across all levels of education
- teachers wishing to change discipline areas
- teaching English outside Australia
- international students wishing to study TESOL at master's level.
As a City campus, UTS not only offers a range of great services and facilities across our buildings, but across our vibrant, local precinct. For a snapshot of everything our campus and precinct has to offer - including where all the cafes are at UTS
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Career options include teacher of English as an additional language, adult literacy and numeracy/foundation skills in Australia or overseas (applicants are advised to check with potential employing bodies regarding employment requirements), manager in the TESOL sector and language roles (e.g. audiology, speech pathology).
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
- For applicants with a bachelor's degree, the degree must be in the field of education, management and commerce, society and culture, or creative arts. For applicants with a master's, the qualification can be in any field of study.
If the bachelor’s degree is not in one of these fields, or applying with only a graduate diploma or graduate certificate qualification (with no prior undergraduate degree), applicants must submit:
- a personal statement (approximately 500 words) explaining why they wish to study the course they are applying for, and provide evidence of knowledge in the field of Applied Linguistics and TESOL, and
- a CV including details of paid or voluntary work, or other experiences (eg special interest groups) relevant to the course.
Minimum English Language Requirement
- Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0;
- TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21;
- AE5: Pass;
- PTE: 58-64;
- CAE: 176-184
- Course Code: 088012B
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD