Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction: Initial Teacher Certification
The College of Education, UMass Lowell’s Blended Master of Education degree (M.Ed.) with initial licensure prepares English, History, Math, and Science secondary teachers to effectively meet the needs of Massachusetts diverse students. The program combines educational theory and practice with authentic well supported field-based experiences. This prepares teacher candidates to enter the teaching profession with the content, confidence, and skills necessary to be successful. Well-supported field-based experiences embedded throughout their preparation programs.
Our virtual simulations and partnerships with local school districts, including Lawrence, Lowell, Billerica, Chelmsford, Dracut, Haverhill, Methuen, Westford, and local technical schools give you real-world opportunities to hone your teaching skills before you begin your student teaching semester. Coursework and field experiences address the contemporary demands of teaching students in a diverse world of changing demographics - ensuring that you are truly “classroom-ready” when you graduate.
UMass Lowell is located in historic mill city of Lowell, Mass., 45-minutes north of Boston, at the intersections of Routes 495, 93 and 3. The birthplace of Jack Kerouac and the Industrial Revolution, Lowell's history echoes all around you. Former mill buildings and cobblestone streets now add charm to a bustling downtown, steps away from the UMass Lowell campus, which boasts a thriving arts scene, a population rich in cultural diversity, and a flair for festivals.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
3 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Completion of a bachelor's degree in English, History, Math or Science. For those with alternative majors, a minimum of 36 content credit hours is required.
- Candidates must pass the following required MTEL tests: Communications and Literacy and Content Area test for the license you seek.
- Cumulative Grade Point Average 3.0 or above for your bachelor's degree.
- Any UMass Lowell undergraduate junior or senior may apply to a master's degree program at UMass Lowell under the Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Degree Option with the following conditions: 1) The applicant must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above at the time the baccalaureate degree is conferred in order to maintain eligibility for this option, and 2) The applicant must apply for and receive his/her baccalaureate degree before matriculating into the graduate program. Conditional acceptance into the program will be granted to eligible juniors and seniors before their baccalaureate degree is conferred.
Statement of Purpose
In a separate document, submit a brief statement indicating your immediate and long-range goals, relevant work history, academic honors/awards received, any teaching experience and/or research conducted/published that may be pertinent to your graduate program. Two pages recommended maximum.
Letters of Recommendation
You are required to submit three (3) letters of recommendation. You will be asked to provide (names and email addresses) referees during the application process and an automated request will be sent out after the completion of your application.
Provide a complete and official transcript from the institution that awarded or will award you a bachelor’s degree. You may also include transcripts from other institutions at which you have taken relevant coursework. Please note that waiting for additional transcripts may delay review of your application.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 50 USD
- Master of Education in Reading & Language at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Education in Higher Education Administration at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Education in Education Administration at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction: Science Education at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction: Applied Behavior Analysis and Education at University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Master's in Criminal Justice at University of Massachusetts Lowell