Bachelor of Teaching (Middle) with Bachelor of Business Management
Increase students’ employability
As a business-studies teacher, with specific expertise teaching in the middle years, you’ll help your students understand how the commercial world works—and how they can make it work for them.
What will you do?
In our Bachelor of Teaching (Middle) with Bachelor of Business Management you’ll:
build expertise in business management and an additional area you intend to teach
explore educational issues, curriculum and practice in relation to teaching business studies, and particularly in the middle secondary years, an area of schooling attracting increasing attention in the Australian education system
work with inspiring teachers and researchers in the discipline area of Business Management
gain professional experience and connections through extensive school placements.
learn to effectively manage people, resources and projects
explore business finance and commercial law
study strategic planning and the science of decision-making
consider client relations, ethics and the role of technology
build real-world business management skills through industry internships, projects and entrepreneurial challenges.
Where could it take you?
This double degree program provides a professional qualification that is recognised for teacher registration purposes in South Australia. In most cases the qualification is portable to other states and overseas countries. You’ll also be well prepared for business and management roles in the public and private sectors, and particularly in educational settings. Plus, an education background will prove invaluable in a wide range of careers servicing communities beyond the classroom.
Mid-year entry will only be available to domestic students. Due to the program structure and professional experience placements, students commencing mid-year study will complete their program in 4.25 years instead of 4 years.
International students who are currently studying at the University of Adelaide may apply to this program mid-year via internal transfer.
The campus provides a mix of the historical and contemporary, combining old sandstone buildings with state-of-the-art teaching, learning and research facilities.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There are three key steps you will need to take when addressing the selection criteria in any University of Adelaide job application:
- Create a new document. Your statement addressing the position’s specified selection criteria should be separate from your cover letter and resume.
- List each criterion separately. Give each a title, using exactly the same wording as appears on the Position Description (e.g. Excellent verbal communication skills).
- Address each criterion. Under each heading, write two short paragraphs explaining how your experience, skills, education and training equip you to meet that specific requirement. Dot points are also acceptable.
Please note that failing to submit a statement addressing the selection criteria could result in your application not being considered.
Some helpful writing tips
There are a number of steps you can take when putting together your responses to increase their clarity and impact.
- Give details of one or two specific things you’ve done that are good examples of the relevant experience or knowledge required. For example: ‘I was responsible for organising an event attended by… This involved…'
- Preface these examples with a short overview that shows you appreciate the relevance of the specific criterion.
- Quantify your experience (number of years worked, staff supervised, etc.). For example: ‘I delivered a presentation to an industry forum with an audience of 80 people.’
- Where possible, indicate how successfully you meet the criterion. You could do this by referring to feedback from others, or things you've set up that are still being used. For example: ‘A report I wrote about… was endorsed by the… Committee and circulated to all stakeholders for discussion.
You could also consider using the STAR method as a structural framework when describing examples of your work. This involves describing, in the order listed here, the:
- situation you faced
- task required, and desired outcome
- action you took to complete the task
- results you achieved, and lessons you learned.
Middle School Teacher, Teacher
The additional year of post study work rights is not available to international students studying in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.
Bachelor Degree or Masters by Coursework Degree - 2 years - 3 years (Adelaide)
Masters by Research - 3 years - 4 years (Adelaide)
PhD qualification - 4 years - 5 years (Adelaide)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
ISC & CBSE [India] 70%
All India Senior Secondary Certificate (CBSE, New Delhi), Indian School Certificate (ISC), Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu State Board Examination and Telangana State Board Examination.
Best three subjects, excluding language and non-academic subjects.
You must have completed at least one year at your home institution, however you are able to apply following one semester
You must have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.5 out of 4.0 on the US scale or equivalent
You must meet the English Language requirements
IELTS - Overall band score of at least 7.0 Writing, Speaking, Reading and Listening 7.0
TOEFL (paper based) - Total score of 577, Test of Written English (TWE) 4.5
TOEFL (internet based) - Total score of 94, Writing 27 Speaking 23 Reading 24 and Listening 24
Pearson Test of English - Overall score of 65, Writing, Speaking, Reading and Listening 65
Cambridge C1 Advanced (formerly known as Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)) - Overall score of 185 Writing, Speaking, Reading and Listening 185
Additional Entry Requirements
Teaching Capabilities Statement
In accordance with national teacher education program standards, applicants must fulfil non-academic entry requirements. Applicants are required to submit a 400-600 word Teaching Capabilities Statement which speaks to motivation to become a teacher. The statement must address three themes:
* understanding of the role of a teacher
* the personal and academic qualities possessed that will enable you to become an effective teacher
* your attitude to learning
Please note you may only submit one Teaching Capabilities Statement. Once you submit your statement you cannot make any changes or edits. Your submission will be final.
Pathway students will be contacted directly by the university and asked to submit their statement at the end of their foundation program.
Criminal History Check - DCSI Clearance
A successful Department of Child and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Clearance is required by teacher employment authorities in South Australia. A successful DCSI is required prior to undertaking any professional experience placement which involves contact with minors (under 18 years of age). These placements form a compulsory part of the program. International students will be required to obtain a certificate from their home country.
Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education (LANTITE)
Prior to graduation, all students enrolled in Initial Teacher Education programs must successfully complete the LANTITE.
- Course Code: 0100932
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Criminology at The University of Adelaide
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Social Sciences at The University of Adelaide
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of International Development at The University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Science at The University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Music at The University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences at The University of Adelaide