Master of Computing and Innovation - Melbourne Campus
The Melbourne campus offers a pathway into degrees for international pathway students only. For the equivalent version for both domestic and international students at the Adelaide, North Terrace campus visit Master of Computing and Innovation.
A competitive edge in computing
Information technology (IT) professionals are faced with new challenges every day. Technical computer science skills are no longer all that’s needed to get the job done.
Our Master of Computing and Innovation is designed to build the communication, project management and innovation skills needed to thrive in a growing industry.
This degree is available to international students only.
What will you do?
Undertake a specialised introductory IT program in your first semester.
Learn C++ language and programming.
Understand fundamental data structures and computer systems.
Benefit from the guidance and mentorship of highly experienced, award-winning educators and world-leading researchers.
Learn to design and construct large software systems.
Build management and innovation skills through core courses.
Apply your learning in a significant project.
This degree will still be invaluable if you already have computer science qualifications. We’ll simply vary your program to reflect your existing knowledge.
Students will commence their pathway studies as a University of Adelaide College student undertaking a Pre-Master's Program. On successful completion of the Pre-master's program, student will receive credit for subjects and will move into the second year of the University of Adelaide Master of Computing and Innovation.
Where could it take you?
You’ll graduate ready to take on a wide range of IT-based roles. You could be a computer scientist, web developer or tech entrepreneur. You might manage IT contracts and projects in the government sector. Perhaps you’ll work in marketing, selling exciting new IT products to the public.
Note: After completing the equivalent of a major in computer science, you’ll be eligible to apply for entry into our Master of Computer Science or Master of Software Engineering. Depending on your prior study, this major may take up to 2 years to complete. Options for converting to a graduate diploma or graduate certificate program are also available. If you’re looking to convert between programs, seek advice from the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences, as not all courses can be counted towards the new program.
The free city circle tram stops at our front door, and there's high-end shopping, cinemas and multi-purpose sports courts in the neighbourhood.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
There are three key steps you will need to take when addressing the selection criteria in any University of Adelaide job application:
- Create a new document. Your statement addressing the position’s specified selection criteria should be separate from your cover letter and resume.
- List each criterion separately. Give each a title, using exactly the same wording as appears on the Position Description (e.g. Excellent verbal communication skills).
- Address each criterion. Under each heading, write two short paragraphs explaining how your experience, skills, education and training equip you to meet that specific requirement. Dot points are also acceptable.
Please note that failing to submit a statement addressing the selection criteria could result in your application not being considered.
Some helpful writing tips
There are a number of steps you can take when putting together your responses to increase their clarity and impact.
- Give details of one or two specific things you’ve done that are good examples of the relevant experience or knowledge required. For example: ‘I was responsible for organising an event attended by… This involved…'
- Preface these examples with a short overview that shows you appreciate the relevance of the specific criterion.
- Quantify your experience (number of years worked, staff supervised, etc.). For example: ‘I delivered a presentation to an industry forum with an audience of 80 people.’
- Where possible, indicate how successfully you meet the criterion. You could do this by referring to feedback from others, or things you've set up that are still being used. For example: ‘A report I wrote about… was endorsed by the… Committee and circulated to all stakeholders for discussion.
You could also consider using the STAR method as a structural framework when describing examples of your work. This involves describing, in the order listed here, the:
- situation you faced
- task required, and desired outcome
- action you took to complete the task
- results you achieved, and lessons you learned.
Communications Technologist, Computer Programmer, Computer Scientist, Project Manager, Software Developer, Software Engineer, IT Manager, Information Technologist, Information and Communications Technologist, Internet - Web Programmer, Programmer, Entrepreneur, Innovation Manager
The additional year of post study work rights is not available to international students studying in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.
Bachelor Degree or Masters by Coursework Degree - 2 years - 3 years (Adelaide)
Masters by Research - 3 years - 4 years (Adelaide)
PhD qualification - 4 years - 5 years (Adelaide)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Entry to postgraduate coursework programs as a minimum requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification from an approved institution as a qualification for entry.
Some of the graduate certificates and graduate diplomas that are offered may be accepted as qualifying work for entry to a Masters program, or as professional qualifications in their own right.
IELTS Overall 6.5 Reading 6 Listening 6 Speaking 6 Writing 6
TOEFL Overall 79 Reading 20 Listening 20 Speaking 23 Writing 27
- Course Code: 064441A
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Petroleum Engineering Science at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Petroleum Engineering at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Biopharmaceutical Engineering at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Machine Learning at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Software Engineering at The University of Adelaide
- Master of Property at The University of Adelaide