Master of Applied Linguistics
UNE's Master of Applied Linguistics (MAAL) degree provides a professional qualification for those working in language teaching, language program management, TESOL, social services, health, education, and the law, as well as those who work with linguistic and cultural minorities.
No previous linguistics study is required, and the degree can be completed in as little as one year.
UNE's MAAL degree was Australia's first fully online Master's degree in Applied Linguistics, and our staff has over 15 years of experience in offering this high-quality interactive postgraduate course using the latest multimedia technology. You will be part of a global classroom, interacting with your lecturers and with students from more than 30 countries via online discussion forums. You'll explore languages of the world, language acquisition, a language in education, the language in legal and other professional contexts, and intercultural communication - all at a time and place that suit your work or family commitments.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Master of Applied Linguistics graduates typically achieves employment and promotion in fields as diverse as:
- language policy and planning
- teaching English to speakers of other languages
- language programs management
- the government and public sector
- health and social services
- business and law.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A candidate shall:
- (a) hold an AQF Level 7 Bachelor qualification or an AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Bachelor with Honours or AQF Level 9 Master qualification in a non-relevant discipline; or
- (b) hold an AQF Level 7 Bachelor qualification in Linguistics or AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Bachelor with Honours or AQF Level 9 Master qualification in a non-relevant discipline and either relevant work experience or other relevant qualification; or
- (c) hold an AQF Level 7 Bachelor qualification in Linguistics with relevant work experience or an AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Bachelor with Honours qualification in linguistics or relevant discipline*; and
- (d) must meet the University's English Language Requirements for Admission Rule.
Applicants wishing to claim 'relevant work experience or other relevant qualifications' must complete and submit the document provided.
*Relevant disciplines include: English; Languages or Education with a major in English literacy, LOTE or ESL; Psychology; Philosophy; Interpreting and Translation; Speech Pathology; Cultural Studies; Social Sciences; Computer Science; Law; Business, Health, Writing and Publishing.
Completion of the unit EDLI504 TESOL II may require contact with children in an educational setting (professional experience). Students wishing to complete their placement in NSW, in institutions that enroll children under the age of 18 years, must have first completed online Anaphylaxis training, an online Child Protection module, and have obtained a valid NSW Working with Children Check clearance; or equivalent for those students wishing to complete their placement outside NSW. Students are referred to the Office for Professional Learning - Professional Experience Placement website for further information.
Overseas students working with children under 18 are required to meet the working with children requirements of the country/jurisdiction/institution in which they are undertaking their placement, and to provide documentation that they have done this. If there are no such requirements, they need to demonstrate this and be mindful to adhere to and practice principles of child protection regardless of whether or not such obligations are mandated when working with children in these contexts.
- Course Type: Online
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A