Certificate Economics & Finance
The Certificate in Economics and Finance is a Level 9 qualification (postgraduate/masters level). It will be a taught programme that comprises of six modules delivered over one academic year on a flexible basis.
This Certificate, whilst a stand-alone award, will draw on existing modules on the Masters in Business Studies (Economics and Finance).
Tailored towards graduates who are already employed in the financial services sector or other businesses who wish to reorient their career/upskill themselves, it will also cater for graduates who wish to pursue a career in finance or economics. It will equip candidates with advanced skills, knowledge and competencies in econometrics, financial derivatives, financial regulation, advanced financial analysis and interpretation as well as exposure to contemporary issues and their application to practice. Candidates will learn not only theory but will work with live data.
Consisting of six equally weighted modules candidates will learn not only the theory underpinning core phenomena but will also work with ‘live’ data. Contemporary issues are also central to this programme and candidates will hear from industry practitioners presenting on particular themes such as Brexit, Anti Money Laundering and Fintech. Additional seminars are devoted to career development.
Practice-based training will be central with candidates receiving specialised training in quantitative financial methods and monetary economics. The School has recently developed a new Finance lab fully equipped with a range of financial software, e.g-Refinitiv Eikon (financial database and analytics for the global financial community) StockTrak (a virtual trading platform) and use of the Financial Times), all of which will enhance candidates digital skills. Candidates will also get exposure to leading research being conducted in the Schools’ AIB Centre for Finance and Business Research. Particular topics of interest include financial regulation, green and sustainable finance- all of whom fit within the areas prioritised under the International Financial Services Strategy 2025 Ireland for Finance.
Delivery will take place over two semesters in a flexible format to facilitate those in employment. It will encompass lectures, workshops and seminars. Assessment methods will include projects, reflective pieces and written exams.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- A H1 or 2.1 overall award in a strong specialist business/economics and finance undergraduate degree or a general business undergraduate degree with an economics and/or finance major/specialism.
- Students from a non-business degree (example – BA or a BSc) but with relevant economics/finance related modules may also be eligible.
- Graduates who have achieved a 2nd class honours grade 2 in the degrees listed above and who can demonstrate a high level of performance in the economics/finance related subjects may be considered.
- Students without a Level 8 qualification may qualify under RPL as per WIT academic guidelines on RPL
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD608
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Higher Diploma in Science Business Systems Analysis at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Certificate Management for Healthcare Professionals at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Finance and Business Analytics at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Postgraduate Diploma in Science Digital Marketing Practice at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Higher Diploma in Business Management at Waterford Institute of Technology