Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sport & Exercise Science
What is the BSc (Hons) in Sport & Exercise Science?
The BSc (Hons) in Sport & Exercise Science is a full-time, four year, honours degree course of study that can be chosen within the Exercise Sciences Common Entry Route. The Sport and Exercise Science programme will give graduates the knowledge and skills to evaluate sport and athletic performance from a biomechanical, physiological and psychological perspective. They will then be capable of working with athletes and coaches on an ongoing basis to improve performance, health and well-being. The programme will emphasise the traditional sports science disciplines of biomechanics, physiology and psychology but also newer applied sports science disciplines including strength and conditioning, sports nutrition and team performance analysis.
At the end of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- Measure, analyse and evaluate athletic performance using sports science laboratory apparatus and analysis software
- Evaluate psychological profiles and mood states using sports psychology assessment tools
- Assist athletes and coaches in improving performance during the training year and in preparation for major competitions in challenging environments
- Plan sports-specific strength and conditioning programmes for athletes and teams
- Assist athletes and coaches in distinguishing fact from fiction with reference to the sports science research literature
Department staff have extensive experience providing sports science support to elite athletes and teams. Staff currently or recently
- Assist elite teams and athletes of the region in monitoring body composition changes during the training year
- Work with intercounty GAA teams and various athletes in strength and conditioning, psychology and nutritional support roles
- Provide ongoing performance testing for elite cyclists and triathletes as well as teams
- Work with the Sport Ireland Institute to assist elite student athlete development
- Are accredited sports psychology service providers with the Institute of Sport, working with Olympic athletes and teams
- Provided sports science support to the Irish Paralympic team over 2 Olympic cycles
- Provided sports psychology and backup team support at the Olympic Games in London and Rio
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD006 ESS
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Creative Computing at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Multimedia Applications Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Software Systems Development at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Computer Forensics and Security at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Computing (Media Development) at Waterford Institute of Technology