Master of Scientific Studies
The Master of Scientific Studies is a course work plus research degree designed to provide specialized training in a specific field of study. The degree involves advanced level course work-study and students must complete one of the following majors: Biochemistry; Biodiversity Science; Biomedical Science; Chemistry; Genetics; Mathematics; Medicinal Chemistry; Quantitative Ecology or Zoology.
Students also complete either a thesis embodying the results of a research project or two mini-research projects. The research is completed under the supervision of a member of academic staff in an area relevant to the Major being completed.
Graduates who have included SCI599 in their program of study are eligible to apply for admission to candidature for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
Living in Armidale you will experience the best of both city and rural living. Enjoy a healthy and active lifestyle with access to shopping, gourmet food, top sporting facilities and cultural delights all for a fraction of the price you'd expect to pay in a major city. You can live in the heart of Armidale or experience the tranquility of New England on a rural property.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Graduates are also qualified for employment in research organizations such as CSIRO and ANSTO, universities, environmental protection agencies, and scientific research laboratories.
International students studying at regional universities will be eligible to access an additional 2 years in Australia on a post-study work visa (Which means a Bachelors or Masters graduate can get up to 4 years of PSW visa)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A candidate shall:
- hold an AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline*at the level of Credit (GPA 5) or above; or
- hold an AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma or Bachelor with Honours in a relevant discipline* at the level of Credit (GPA 5) or above.
*Relevant disciplines include, but are not limited to: Biochemistry; Biology; Botany; Chemistry; Genetics; Geology; Mathematics; Microbiology; Physics; Physiology; Statistics; and Zoology. A degree will be considered relevant to a nominated major if it includes a study that covers the minimum assumed knowledge. Where it is not clear from their academic background, applicants may include a cover letter with their application describing how they have achieved the minimum assumed knowledge.
Minimum Assumed Knowledge for Each Major>
- Biochemistry: two units of biology and two units of chemistry or equivalent
- Biodiversity Science: two units of biology and two units in any biological or earth science at 200-level or above or equivalent
- Biomedical Science: two units of biology and two units of chemistry or equivalent
- Chemistry: four units of chemistry or equivalent
- Genetics: two units of biology and two units of chemistry or equivalent
- Mathematics: Two units of (calculus-based) mathematics and an additional two units in mathematics at 200-level or above or equivalent
- Medicinal Chemistry: two units of chemistry and an additional two units of chemistry, biochemistry or pharmaceutical science
- Quantitative Ecology: one unit of statistics or probability, one unit of (calculus-based) mathematics, and two units of ecology, physical geography or related sciences or equivalent
- Zoology: two units of biology and two units in any biological science at 200-level or above or equivalent
Note: Students wishing to complete the course on a full-time basis are strongly encouraged to have greater than the minimum assumed knowledge and to begin their study in the first trimester.
- Course Code: 000441G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Science in Agriculture at University of New England
- Master of Science (Research) at University of New England
- Master of Rural Science (Research) at University of New England
- Master of Planning and Management of Natural Hazards at University of New England
- Master of Neuroscience at University of New England
- Master of Environmental Science and Management at University of New England