Master of Tourism, Hotel and Event Management
Prepare yourself for a successful managerial career in tourism, hospitality or events where your business acumen and professional abilities result in exceptional experiences.
Tourism contributes billions of dollars to the Queensland economy and employs thousands of people. This active local tourism environment makes the programs at the Business School the ideal forum to learn about this vibrant industry, with the skills you gain applicable in Australia or anywhere in the world.
You'll benefit from UQ's extensive network of industry leaders, many of whom deliver guest lectures and share their perspectives and knowledge, and you'll have the opportunity to establish contacts for the future.
Your study also offers a range of invaluable Work Integrated Learning (WIL) opportunities designed to help you bridge the gap between theory and practice and gain industry experience with tourism and event site visits, the investigation of case studies, and problem-based learning activities.
You'll graduate with an internationally recognised qualification and be ready for success in any number of careers related to tourism, hotel and event management.
The 32-unit Master of Tourism, Hotel and Event Management program includes the core foundational courses of tourism, hotel, and event management. It is for students who have a bachelor's degree in any field and can meet minimum GPA requirements.
- Study at one of the world's top business schools and the only Australian university to offer programs accredited by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation that promotes responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
- Advance your expertise through a range of high-level courses so you can specialise in a new field, further your existing knowledge, or explore fresh areas of interest.
- Work closely with lecturers and tutors currently involved in the industry and gain real-world, hands-on experience behind the scenes at attractions, destinations and events.
Fields of study
Tailor your studies to suit your goals. This program offers these options:
- Event Management
- Hotel Management
- Travel and Tourism Management
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
2 years of Post-Study Work (PSW) rights to international students post completion of their respective Postgraduate.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
At UQ, we use a 7 point grading scale, where a 4 is a pass and 7 is the highest grade. When assessing your qualifications, we will convert the grade you received in your previous studies to our grading scale. This sometimes involves recalculating your GPA.
Different institutions calculate GPAs with different methods. When calculating your GPA, we may exclude certain non-academic subjects and include all failing grades.
Our GPA equivalency guide can be used as a guide to help you find the minimum UQ GPA equivalencies for the country or region where you completed your bachelor's degree.
If your GPA doesn't meet the minimum requirement for the program you're interested in, you may receive an articulation offer, which could allow you to progress to the master's degree when you meet the GPA requirements.
To enrol in the program a person must hold a relevant bachelor degree in Economics or cognate discipline or equivalent as approved by the Executive Dean; and satisfy the Executive Dean that, based on the academic record, the person is suitably qualified for admission.
IELTS overall 6.5; reading 6; writing 6; speaking 6; listening 6. For other English Language Proficiency Tests and Scores approved for UQ
TOEFL IBT - Overall 87, listening 19, reading 19, writing 21 and speaking 19.
TOEFL PB - Overall 570, listening 54, reading 54, writing 59/5.
Pearsons - Overall Score of 64 and 60 in all sub bands.
BE - A minimum overall grade of 4 plus a minimum grade of C in all macro skills.
CES - Overall 176 and 169 in all sub bands.
OET is not accepted.
- Course Code: 082602F
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- MASTER OF Finance and Investment Management at The University of Queensland
- Master of International Relations (MIR) at The University of Queensland
- Master of International Economics and Finance (MIntEcon&F) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Global Management (MGMan) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Financial Mathematics (MFinMath) at The University of Queensland
- Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation (MEI) at The University of Queensland