Bachelor of Creative Writing
Want to use your knack for writing in a pathway to a fulfilling career and life-long creative satisfaction? Deakin’s Bachelor of Creative Writing can show you how. Finesse your writing and gain expertise across a range of genres and styles. You’ll explore contemporary approaches and their histories in areas like creative nonfiction, scriptwriting, poetry, as well as short and extended fiction writing.
Do you have an eye for detail and an idea for a good story?
Under the tutelage of staff who are published authors themselves, you’ll study the craft of writing, the art of storytelling, creativity, and the process of editing and revision. You’ll explore narrative-driven works, experimental innovations, creative nonfiction and scriptwriting, as well as new takes on traditional genres of poetry, and short and extended fiction writing.
You’ll benefit from unique opportunities to:
- gain industry experience
- work on studio projects
- conduct creative research work
- produce content for professional-standard digital and print publications.
Collaborate and improve your skills working with peers in interdisciplinary teams for writing, film, drama, and new technologies. You’ll gain insight into writing and editing for new media, cross-genre experimentation, and creative production.
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
As a creative writing graduate, you will have the practical skills to work with interdisciplinary teams in writing, film, drama, and new technologies. Career opportunities include:
- book editor
- magazine editor or writer
- technical writer.
You may also choose to transition into fourth-year solo projects in Deakin's selective Honours program or postgraduate studies in creative writing research and production.
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII):- 65%
Admission Requirements Specific Entry for applicants with recent secondary education (previous three years) will be based on their performance in a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, with pre-requisite units 3 and 4; a study score of at least 25 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 20 in English other than EAL. Applicants will be selected in accordance with the published Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for that year.
Entry for applicants with previous Tertiary, VET, life, or work experience will be based on their performance in:
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline OR
- a Diploma in any discipline or 50% completion of a Diploma in a related discipline OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application
- Course Code: 095259J
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Relations at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Communication (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science at Deakin University