Master of Teaching and Learning (Primary)
Do you already hold a bachelor's degree and want to become a teacher? Postgraduate study in initial teacher education is new to New Zealand, and AUT is one of the places where you can study this one-year professional qualification to become a teacher.
You study the curriculum and education theory to be a successful primary or intermediate teacher. The program includes a practicum of two days per week for 20 weeks and 12 full weeks as well as a research project. There's a focus on future-oriented education, and you'll be equipped to teach and prepare children to live in a future world.
AUT NORTH CAMPUS
Our North Campus is on Auckland’s North Shore and offers facilities including student accommodation, cafes and our biggest sports centre.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Graduates can apply for provisional registration with the Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand and teach in a primary or intermediate classroom.
Holding a master's degree in teaching and learning will be an advantage in the current competitive employment market.
Graduates planning to continue with postgraduate study should note that this qualification doesn't automatically lead to doctoral study. You will be required to complete additional study in a research methodologies paper at master's level.
Your qualification at level 7 or higher is acceptable if your course lasted 30 weeks or more.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum entry requirements
- A bachelor’s degree with a B+ grade average or higher in level 7 papers, preferably including education papers
Applicants with overseas qualifications must have these assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) as equivalent to a New Zealand level 7 bachelor's degree or above.
- Personal declaration form (which includes permission for a police clearance)
- Three confidential referee reports (one of your referees will be contacted by telephone and the others will be required to complete a written reference)
- A school visit to one of our partnership schools is required prior to interview
- Face to face interview
- Candidates will demonstrate high levels of comprehension, fluency and accuracy in literacy and numeracy tests and ICT skills. During the interview process, candidates will be required to demonstrate group skills through a simulation exercise.
- You also need to meet the Teaching Council requirements for conduct
- A safety check will be completed to ensure you meet all the requirements as set out in section 31 of the Vulnerable Children Act 2014
- Course Code: AK1047
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A