Master of Creative Writing
Storytelling is an integral part of life. AUT's Master of Creative Writing embraces the multiple modes through which storytelling can occur, including not just novels and short stories but writing for the screen, graphic novels, and multimedia texts.
The Master of Creative Writing is the centerpiece of the AUT Centre for Creative Writing. As a Master of Creative Writing candidate, you take part in masterclasses led by our experienced mentors, who are among the most accomplished writers and creative writing tutors in the country. Peer feedback and networking with industry bodies (including publishers, writers societies and the film industry), are key components of the program. We also follow up with regular alumni meetings, and staff and alumni have gone on to collaborate on successful publishing initiatives.
AUT CITY CAMPUS
Our City Campus is in the heart of Auckland. It is AUT’s biggest campus and home to most academic units and the central administration, including the Vice-Chancellor’s office.
- March Deadline: May
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
- Creative industries
- Media and new media
- Professional writing
Your qualification at level 7 or higher is acceptable if your course lasted 30 weeks or more.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum entry requirements
One of the following:
- Four-year bachelor’s degree
- Bachelor’s degree with honours
- Bachelor’s degree and one year of advanced study
- Special admission (bachelor’s degree and creative work equivalent to one year of advanced study)
- Exceptional admission (for established practitioners with a substantial body of creative work)
Applicants who don't meet the academic entry requirements are encouraged to contact Cynthia D'Souza if professional creative writing experience may be considered as an entry pathway.
- Portfolio of creative writing (20 pages of original work for the page, screen or multimedia)
- May be required to submit evidence of ability to study at postgraduate level, and attend a selection interview
This portfolio will be reviewed by the chair and tutors in the Centre for Creative Writing. Successful candidates will have a mentor appointed through discussion with the chair to supervise the development of their creative work. Send your portfolio to Dr Paul Mountfort, Chair, Centre for Creative Writing.
- Course Code: AK1303
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Design at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Master of Visual Arts at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Master of Arts at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Master of Gastronomy at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Master of Communication Studies at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)