Master of Data Science and Innovation
The Master of Data Science and Innovation is a world-leading program of study in analytics and data science.
Taking a transdisciplinary approach, the course utilises a range of perspectives from diverse fields and integrates them with industry experiences, real-world projects and self-directed study, equipping graduates with an understanding of the potential of analytics to transform practice. The course is delivered in a range of modes, including contemporary online and face-to-face learning experiences in UTS's leading-edge facilities.
Work experience/industry placement is an important component of the course.
This course has been developed as a response to a global talent gap for people with data science knowledge, as identified and reported by the McKinsey Global Institute study (2011). The study predicted a shortfall by 2018 of nearly 200,000 data scientists and 1.5 million managers with the capability to make decisions using big data in the United States alone.
The dramatic growth of data in every conceivable industry, from oceanography to market research, presents another major driving force in generating unprecedented global demand for data science skills.
As a City campus, UTS not only offers a range of great services and facilities across our buildings, but across our vibrant, local precinct. For a snapshot of everything our campus and precinct has to offer - including where all the cafes are at UTS
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The course prepares students to participate in a variety of emerging careers with the growth of data science – data scientist, data engineer, data griot, data analyst, data artist, data journalist and data-driven policy expert, to name a few. While other offerings also provide the basis for these careers, this unique transdisciplinary course is the first of its kind in Australia where creativity and innovation are integral components, producing industry-ready graduates with strong technical, creative thinking and data ethics skills.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree,
- an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
All applicants must satisfy the following requirement:
- bachelor degree, or higher qualification, in a relevant discipline, such as information technology, mathematical sciences, physics and astronomy, engineering, accounting, banking, finance and related fields, or economics and econometrics.
If the applicant's academic qualification is not listed in the above disciplines but they do have at least two years full time work experience in data analytics, database management or programming related fields, then they must also provide:
- a C.V. outlining work experience and education, as well as other relevant evidence and information and
- an official Statement of Service, from the employer, confirming the dates of employment, and a description of the position held within the organisation.
Minimum English Language Requirements
- Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0;
- TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21;
- AE5: Pass;
- PTE: 58-64;
- CAE: 176-184
- Course Code: 084268K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Master of Mathematics and Quantitative Finance at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Indigenous Health (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Speech and Language Sciences (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Transdisciplinary Innovation (Research) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Speech Pathology at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Master of Medical Biotechnology (Extension) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)