Sports Science, M.Phil.
Location- Singleton Park Campus
Understanding the complexities of the human mind and how we relate to the world around us remains one of science’s greatest challenges.
Our Psychology department has an outstanding reputation both in the UK and internationally. According to the Research Excellence Framework 2014, we are one of only four psychology departments in the UK to achieve a 100% 4* rating (maximum score possible) for the reach and significance of our work.
Our areas of research expertise in Cognitive Neuroscience and Clinical and Health Psychology support four broad research groups:
- Clinical and Health Behaviour, addressing how behaviours develop and influence people’s decisions relating to their health and well-being, and the impact of health interventions. Recent student research projects have explored the role of social marketing in preventing child obesity, and trauma following acute illness.
- Cognition and Perception, covering areas such as perception, identification, and processing of objects and events, and the cognitive and neural basis for language development. Current research topics include the representation of colour and shape in memory, and word recognition and production.
- Brain and Behaviour, exploring the integration of neuroscience and behaviour, including brain chemistry, neuropsychology, and brain injury. Student research currently underway includes substance abuse factors affecting attention, and learning, memory and reading in individuals with autistic spectrum disorders.
- Forensic Psychology, exploring the interface between psychology and the law, and includes many aspects, such as legal process, the assessment, supervision and treatment of those who have offended, working with victims of crime, and addressing risk and re-offending.
Offering flexibility through a wholly research-based mode of study; the MSc by Research in Psychology course is perfect for those looking to balance work, life and study commitments.
As a student at our College of Human and Health Sciences, you will benefit from a dynamic and supportive research environment with many opportunities to make connections across disciplines and develop links with organisations and policymakers both in the UK and abroad.
Our state-of-the-art research facilities include a high-density electroencephalography (EEG) suite, a fully fitted sleep laboratory, a social observation suite, eye-tracking, psychophysiological, transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS), and conditioning labs, a lifespan lab and baby room, plus more than 20 all-purpose research rooms.
Travelling west on the M4 leave the motorway at junction 42 and follow signs for Swansea on the A483 (Fabian Way). The Bay Campus is situated to the left-hand side of Fabian Way and the main entrance is controlled by traffic lights. There is a Visitors’ Car Park immediately to the left of the main entrance. There is a large Park and Ride facility located at Fabian Way, which is a short distance from the Bay Campus.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
- 2 Years of PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants for MPhil must normally hold an undergraduate degree at 2.1 level (or Non-UK equivalent as defined by Swansea University) in Sports Science or similar relevant science discipline.
- Course Type: Part Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A