Bachelor of Health Science (Midwifery)
Develop the skills to provide excellent midwifery care with AUT's Bachelor of Health Science (Midwifery) degree.
AUT’s midwifery degree prepares you for a successful and rewarding career as a midwife, either as a hospital midwife or a lead maternity carer (a self-employed case loading midwife). Study midwifery at AUT's South Campus in Manukau or via distance learning in Northland and Taranaki (through a live online platform and local classes).
Practical experience is a key part of the midwifery program. You spend more than half of your time in clinical practice, developing the skills to become a confident and competent midwife. Throughout your studies, you complete 2,400 practice hours, an experience that reflects the real world of midwifery.
AUT SOUTH CAMPUS
Our South Campus is located in the heart of Manukau. You can choose from courses based entirely at the South Campus, or include papers at the City or the North Campus.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Job opportunities for midwives are good, especially in the Auckland region.
Midwives work in the areas of pregnancy and childbirth, including the first six weeks after childbirth. They are employed
in public hospital services, or set up in practice as a self-employed midwife in the community. Throughout your studies you complete 2,400 practice hours, an experience that reflects the real world of midwifery.
Your qualification at level 7 or higher is acceptable if your course lasted 30 weeks or more.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum entry requirements
- University Entrance or equivalent
- 18 credits at level 3 in either Biology or Chemistry, and 16 credits in one subject from Classical Studies, Drama, English, Geography, Health Education, History, Art History, Media Studies, Social Studies, Te Reo M?ori, Te Reo Rangatira, Business Studies, Economics, Physical Education
- Must be capable of meeting the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act (HPCA Act) requirements and Children's Act 2014 including a police clearance
- Must hold a valid driver’s license
Applicants with English as a second or another language should have completed at least three years of schooling in New Zealand or will be required to meet IELTS requirements
- One year of successful study towards an undergraduate degree at a recognised institute.
- Higher Secondary School Exam or All-India Senior School certificate with an average of 75% in the four best subjects, with a minimum of 60% in English.
- Indian School Certificate (ISC) with a minimum of 60% in English.
- Bachelor degree with upper second division.
- GCE A levels with a minimum of three A-level grades, with one grade being at least ‘C’ or higher. A result in General Studies cannot be included.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) with successful completion of a minimum of 24 points.
- Cambridge International Examination - a minimum of 120 points on the UCAS Tariff* at A or AS level from any subjects which are broadly equivalent to the subjects in the NCEA approved subject list. Must include at least three subjects (excluding Thinking Skills) with grades D or above. Numeracy: A minimum grade of D in International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) mathematics or any mathematics subject at AS or A level. Literacy: A minimum grade of E in English Language and/or English Literature subject at AS or A level.
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) with three A-levels including at least one C grade or better. A result in General Studies cannot be included among the 3 on which the application is based.
- Course Code: AK1035
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Health Science (Honours) at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Health Science in Psychology at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Bachelor of Health Science (Podiatry) at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Bachelor of Sport and Recreation at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)