Diploma in Paramedic Science
The Diploma in Paramedic Science is for students who want a career in pre-hospital emergency healthcare, primarily in an ambulance setting.
After completing the Diploma in Paramedic Science you will have successfully met the requirements to work as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). This paramedicine diploma is only offered at the AUT South Campus in Manukau.
AUT SOUTH CAMPUS
Our South Campus is located in the heart of Manukau. You can choose from courses based entirely at the South Campus, or include papers at the City or the North Campus.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Career opportunities in New Zealand include employment with St John, Wellington Free Ambulance services, the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) and other pre-hospital medical providers.
An emergency medical technician administers pre-hospital emergency care – looking after patients during the time between when an ambulance locates the patient and when that patient arrives at the hospital or treatment centre. EMTs are required to provide a high level of professional medical care to patients under a variety of circumstances.
Your Level 4, 5, or 6 qualifications is acceptable if you:
- completed it after study of 60 weeks or more, or
- gained 2 qualifications that:
- each involved 30 weeks' study, and
- the level of your last qualification was higher than the first.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum entry requirements
- Completion of Year 12
- Must be capable of meeting the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act (HPCA Act) and Children’s Act 2014 requirements, including a police clearance
- Must be 18 years or older by the first day of the semester
- International Baccalaureate (IB) with successful completion of a minimum of 24 points.
- Cambridge International Examination - a minimum of 120 points on the UCAS Tariff* at A or AS level from any subjects which are broadly equivalent to the subjects in the NCEA approved subject list. Must include at least three subjects (excluding Thinking Skills) with grades D or above. Numeracy: A minimum grade of D in International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) mathematics or any mathematics subject at AS or A level. Literacy: A minimum grade of E in English Language and/or English Literature subject at AS or A level.
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) with three A-levels including at least one C grade or better. A result in General Studies cannot be included among the 3 on which the application is based.
- A minimum of CCC scores (7 points) across the NCUK International Foundation Year (IFY)
- Acceptance of the NCUK English for Academic Purposes qualification as an alternative to meeting the English-language requirements, with a minimum of a C grade overall and no less than D grade in each component.
- Higher secondary certificate (standard xii), minimum 60%.
- GCE O levels.
- Course Code: AK1011
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Under Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A
- Certificate in Sport and Recreation at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Certificate in Applied Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Diploma in Applied Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Certificate in Science and Technology at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)