Graduate Certificate in International Relations
Develop a deeper understanding of how states and other political entities shape the international system, and how you can play a part in it.
The Graduate Certificate in International Relations (GCIR) is a coursework program aimed at developing conceptual and empirical understanding and skill-sets in research and knowledge development in the International Relations (IR) field.
You'll work with world-class teachers and researchers who are in touch with industry partners and participate in regular public commentary and debate in their fields, and you'll study alongside students from many different countries and backgrounds.
Your GCIR will cover the four key areas of international relations: international theory, the development of the international system, international security, and international political economy. The half year full-time (or part-time equivalent) program includes over 20 courses and projects covering specific fields such as Writing Politics, Principles of International Law, Ethics and Human Rights, Global Governance and Foreign Policy and Diplomacy.
You may also participate in the Graduate Centre Mentorship Program.
UQ’s Graduate Certificate in International Relations will equip you with the analytical and practical skills for a career in diplomacy, government, think-tanks, non-governmental organisations, the UN, international journalism, or development.
- Select from a diverse spectrum of courses.
- Study with undergraduates from a range of countries and backgrounds.
- Choose to participate in the Graduate Centre Mentorship Program.
- Develop the necessary skills for a rewarding career in government or non-government sectors.
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- International aid coordinator
- Asia-Pacific international relations adviser
- Policy and advocacy adviser
- Policy officer
- Ministerial officer
- External affairs officer
- Senior compliance officer
- International aid coordinator
- Overseas development manager
- Human rights advocate
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in any discipline, or
- to have completed post-secondary studies and have 2 years full-time equivalent relevant work experience with documented evidence (such as references). Applications on the basis of post-secondary study and/or work experience will be individually assessed.
You must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 4.5 on a 7-point scale in your previous qualification.
Select where you studied and your qualification to see the GPA equivalent you need to be considered for this program.
Use the GPA equivalent as a guide. When you apply, we’ll calculate your GPA using the UQ grading scale. Any failing grades will be included. Entry requirements are subject to change.
- Course Code: 089175G
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Graduate Certificate Tourism, Hotel and Event Management at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma in Economics at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Certificate in Economics at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Certificate in Development Practice at The University of Queensland
- Graduate Certificate in Commerce at The University of Queensland