Master of Teaching (Secondary)
Entry to this course is governed by the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy. The selection of course entrants is based on academic merit and satisfaction of non-academic capabilities for entry to initial teacher education. In accordance with the mission of ACU, the Faculty of Education and Arts is committed to providing access to education for a diversity of students. ACU provides a range of access and equity schemes that consider additional or alternative factors in assessing applicants, including applicants of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
The Master of Teaching (Secondary) is for graduates who want to become secondary school teachers and have an appropriate undergraduate degree. Graduates may be eligible for employment in Catholic and other faith-based schools, independent and government high schools and other secondary schools.
Depending on your undergraduate degree, this Master’s degree will prepare you to teach specialist areas including:
- Visual arts, media arts, music and/or drama
- Economics and business
- Humanities and social sciences
- Languages other than English
- Health and physical education and outdoor education
- ICT and digital technologies
- Religious education.
It enables students to adopt a research-based approach to reflective practice. They’ll be able to consider the implications and applications of this approach to their own professional development and its contribution to their students’ learning and wellbeing.
The course provides valuable professional experience through a variety of school and community-based placements during the course.
Inherent requirements ensure the academic integrity of a course is maintained and preserves the university's learning, assessment, and accreditation processes. They must be met by all students.
There are essential components of a course or unit that demonstrate the capabilities, knowledge, and skills to achieve the core learning outcomes of the course or unit.
- compliance with the policies, procedures and regulations which are applicable to all students at ACU.
- the mandatory requirements associated with the course of study, eg attendance, completion of assignments.
115 Victoria Parade, Fitzroy Vic 3065 Locked Bag 4115, Fitzroy MDC Fitzroy Vic 3065
25A Barker Road, Strathfield NSW 2135 Locked Bag 2002, Strathfield NSW 2135
Brisbane Campus (McAuley) 1100 Nudgee Road Banyo, Qld 4014
Canberra Campus (Signadou) 223 Antill Street Watson, ACT 2602
25A Barker Rd, Strathfield NSW 2135, Australia
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The Master of Teaching (Secondary) course is designed to prepare secondary teachers to meet the requirements for teaching in Catholic, independent and government schools.
- 2 years PSW for Melbourne, and Brisbane
- 3 years PSW for Canberra, Blacktown & Strathfield
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Students must also nominate two subject areas for which, based on their Bachelor studies, they believe they are qualified to teach. The Faculty of Education and Arts will assess students' suitability for these methods during the admissions process.
- International students must have an IELTS of no score less than 7.0 in reading and writing and no score less than 8.0 in listening and speaking,, plus an Australian three-year Bachelor's Degree or equivalent with a Grade Point Average (GPA) equivalent to an Australian Catholic University GPA of 4.0.
Other prerequisites to undertaking this course
Requirements for working with children (Bluecard mandatory): All students enrolled must have the appropriate approvals before they may enter a classroom.
These are: Blue Card (Qld), Working with Vulnerable People (ACT) or Working with Children Check (NSW and Vic).
International students must bring police check documentation from their home country. All students who have lived in another country for 12 months or more must provide a police check from that country for that period.
- Course Code: 051777F
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Teaching (Secondary) / Graduate Certificate in Religious Education at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Teaching (Primary) / Graduate Certificate in Religious Education at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Teaching (Primary) at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Educational Leadership at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Education at Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- Master of Social Work at Australian Catholic University (ACU)