This course is currently not offered by the university in upcoming intakes. We will notify you soon as it is resumed for online/ offline delivery
Master of Biotechnology Research Extensive
Equip yourself with advanced scientific skills and the business, legal and regulatory understanding needed to translate discoveries from the laboratory to real life.
The Master of Biotechnology Research Extensive program is designed for scientists who wish to increase their technical and research skills in core areas of biotechnology, and to obtain a more extended laboratory immersion than is available in the existing three semester MBiotech.
The extended program will also provide a strong preparation for entry into a PhD program.
For your 1.5 years of full-time studies, you'll select from more than 30 courses, allowing you to tailor your studies to suit your interests and career goals.
Choose electives in molecular genetics, food microbiology, entrepreneurship and strategy, intellectual property, drug discovery and development, immunology and infectious diseases, and more.
Through an independent research project, you'll increase your technical and research skills by working with the university’s researchers and academics or in an industry setting. You'll also have the opportunity to participate in internships, placements and international study options that focus on research and development, commercialisation, marketing and the business of science.
With more than 400 biotechnology companies and some 600 medical device companies in Australia alone, graduates are highly sought after for roles in health, agriculture, diagnostics, the environment, forestry, law and commerce.
- Gain an internationally recognised qualification through UQ's Masters of Biotechnology Program, accredited by the US Council of Graduate Schools (Washington DC) as a Professional Science Master's program.
- Learn from entrepreneurial scientists who have successfully commercialised their scientific discoveries.
- Take advantage of a large suite of electives in science that underpin new biotechnologies.
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. Fanning out from the heritage-listed Great Court, you’ll find modern teaching and research facilities, including laboratories, lecture theatres, and Queensland’s largest research library. The expansive grounds are also home to a variety of sporting facilities, museums, cafes, and those famous Jacaranda trees. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
- Feb Deadline: Nov
Application Processing Time in Days: 28
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Postgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Plant breeding and engineering specialist
- Nanotechnology and biosensor application specialist
- Diagnostic test developer
- Business plan analyst
- Pharmaceutical producer
- University researcher
- Venture capital consultant
- Plant breeding, engineering, cropping or horticulture specialist
- Plant and animal geneticist
- Agricultural advisory board member
2 years of Post-Study Work (PSW) rights to international students post completion of their respective Postgraduate.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- An approved equivalent Bachelor degree (Honours) in Biotechnology, Science, Bioinformatics, Pharmacy, Engineering; or
- Bachelor degree in a relevant field incorporating a major research project, or with an additional postgraduate qualification incorporating a major research project or other significant research experience.
UQ or equivalent GPA of 5 or above on a 7 point scale.
- Course Code: 085549D
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year 06 Month
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- MASTER OF Occupational Hygiene at The University of Queensland
- MASTER OF Food Science and Technology Research Extensive at The University of Queensland
- MASTER OF Clinical Neuropsychology and Clinical Psychology at The University of Queensland
- Master of Sports Coaching at The University of Queensland
- Masters of Occupational Hygiene / Occupational Health and Safety Science at The University of Queensland
- Master of Bioinformatics at The University of Queensland