Bachelor of Arts
A Bachelor of Arts (BA) offers a flexible approach to studying the humanities, social sciences and languages at Australia’s number one university.
Build interdisciplinary knowledge, community leadership and cultural awareness. And, you’ll graduate with the skills necessary to succeed in the rapidly changing, global workplace.
NO. 1 IN AUSTRALIA
Ranked #1 in Australia for Media and Communications, Linguistics, and overall Arts and Humanities (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018). We're the most popular degree in Victoria (Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre 2017).
LEARN FROM WORLD RENOWNED ACADEMICS
Our teaching staff will enlighten you with nothing short of scholarly and research excellence - many are internationally renowned researchers and leading practitioners in their fields.
The new Arts West building has been uniquely tailored to support teaching in the Bachelor of Arts. It delivers quality learning spaces, state-of-the-art technology, and media-rich learning.
Learn important academic skills not taught in secondary schools. Experience a range of study disciplines in your first year through our unique Arts Foundation subjects.
Our Parkville campus is a city within a city. With cafes, 12 libraries, gyms, specialty stores, a small supermarket, and even a seasonal farmers market, you’ll never have to leave. The Parkville campus is situated within a renowned knowledge precinct, which includes eight hospitals, many leading research institutes and a wide range of knowledge-based industries.
Application Processing Time in Days: 90
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The University of Melbourne runs a twice-annual mentoring programme that brings students together with alumni mentors who guide them through the career decision-making process.
Faculty-specific resources assist students in finding the most relevant careers advice for them. Students are also able to take self-assessment tests to help them determine which occupation is most suited to them.
We run workshops, one-on-one sessions, and student mentoring programs to give you the advice you need, when you need it.
Get one-on-one support
The Careers and Employability Studio has gone virtual. Book in for an appointment with a career adviser.
Attend a workshop or session
We run a range of workshops, seminars and events to help support your skill development and employability.
About Careers and Employability
We provide you with the resources, support, and tools you need to achieve your career goals. Learn about our approach to employability and careers.
When you start university you may already know which career path you’d like to pursue. Or, you might be exploring your unique interests, passions, and opportunities.
No matter which category you’re in, career development starts from your first day at university. Career development doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time to develop a greater awareness of who you are and what you want to achieve.
At the University of Melbourne, career development is a journey that involves:
- Understanding and reflecting on your motivations and preferences, current skills and knowledge gaps
- Researching potential opportunities that help you develop meaningful, industry-relevant experiences
- Goal setting and deciding on what career success means to you
- Seeking and applying for roles that align with this vision.
- During this process, your ability to understand and apply your knowledge will be critical in making successful career decisions. We have dedicated career advisers who can guide you through this career development journey.
What are employability skills?
Employability skills are more than just your ability to land a job. They cover your attitude, personal qualities, and transferable skills (e.g. teamwork and communication).
These skills are valued regardless of the role or industry you’re interested in—and understanding their importance can help you succeed in your career and beyond.
Our aim is to help you develop these skills so you can progress professionally in the workforce and community.
How we can help you
We provide online and in-person services: from one-on-one guidance, to learning modules, on campus workshops, and more.
We support you to:
- Understand the possibilities open to you during and after your time at university
- Design your career by understanding where your degree can take you, and guide you on what experiences will help you gain future employment
- Identify your skills and how they apply to actual jobs in the industry you’re interested in
- Find opportunities via our online jobs board and our employability programs
- Connect with employers and professionals through our mentoring programs and industry networks
- Navigate the job application process so your cover letter, resume, and interview style sets you up for success.
- Our services are available to all current undergraduate and graduate University of Melbourne students.
Our graduates are in-demand. And, they’re successful in securing employment across a diverse range of industries. With a Bachelor of Arts, you’ll develop career-ready skills including: creative and analytical thinking, communication expertise, and leadership.
2 years PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
To meet minimum eligibility for entry into a Melbourne undergraduate degree, you need to:
- complete the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent qualification*
- complete and achieve the required grades in each of the prerequisite subjects for the course and any prerequisite tests, interviews or auditions required by the undergraduate course you're applying for
- meet English language requirements**
- India: All India Senior School Certificate (CBSE) and Indian School Certificate (ISC) or State Board Matriculation Examination (Minimum 65% in Year 12)
- Sri Lanka: A-Levels
English language requirements**
- TOEFL – you need a score of 577 or more including a score of 4.5 in the Test of Written English for a paper-based test, or a score of 79 and scores of 21 for writing, 18 for speaking, 13 for reading, 13 for listening for an internet-based test. To submit your scores when you apply, use our TOEFL Institution Code: 0974.
- IELTS – you need a score of 6.5 or more in the Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no bands less than 6.0.
- Pearson Test of English – you need an overall score of between 58-64 inclusive and achieve no PTE communicative skills score below 50.
- Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) – you need a Cambridge English Score of 176 with no skill below 169.
- Course Code: 002167E
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Bachelor of Music (Performance/ Composition/ Musicology/ Ethnomusicology Specialisation) at University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Production) at University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Music (Honours) at University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Degree with Honours) at University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Arts (Degree with Honours) at University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Art) at University of Melbourne