Bachelor of Information Technology
Build a strong foundation with core IT skills you can apply to multiple industries and technologies with Deakin’s Bachelor of Information Technology. Develop your skills as an IT professional yet also, focus your knowledge with a specialization in one of our industry-relevant majors, from app development to cybersecurity or game development, and more.
Want in-demand skills and a diverse career that’s always at the forefront of new technology?
This comprehensive course provides students the opportunity to gain skills, knowledge and experience in areas such as programming, user-centred design, networking, security and entrepreneurship. You will be expanding your career opportunities by studying IT, as IT professionals are hired in a range of industries such as healthcare, education, finance, government, mining, and agriculture.
Deakin’s Bachelor of Information Technology offers diverse majors, so you can study in the area that interests you most. These include:
- application development: plan, design and develop profitable web, desktop, mobile, and business apps.
- cloud computing: develop the expertise to construct solutions using virtualization, enterprise networks, system security, and cloud infrastructure.
- creative technologies: solve problems in the real world through innovative use of technologies such as interactive content design, user experience design, and applications of robotics, artificial intelligence, and ramifications.
- game development: use the latest game engines to create interactive applications and experiences for entertainment and education.
- cybersecurity: identity, diagnose, and resolve the challenges of safeguarding data and systems.
- virtual and augmented reality: revolutionize computer interface design and integrate work and play by enhancing and augmenting your physical environment with computer-generated content.
The course offers you a range of industry-based learning opportunities, including an IT placement unit that gives you a minimum of 100 hours of hands-on experience in the industry. This practical experience enhances your future employment prospects, adding experience to your resume, and developing your professional networks before graduation.
This course includes a compulsory work placement where you will be required to undertake a minimum of 100 hours in industry, providing professional work experience with an approved host organization. Alternatively, high achieving students may have the opportunity to undertake an extended full-time paid industry-based learning placement between 6 – 12 weeks
The Melbourne Burwood Campus is Deakin’s largest. A short trip from Melbourne’s central business district, Burwood offers the perfect balance between city lifestyle and suburban comfort. On campus you will find impressive buildings and world-class facilities, a wide range of learning and social spaces, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you enjoy getting outdoors between classes, the Melbourne Burwood Campus also sits alongside parkland, which is great for walking, jogging and cycling.
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus
At Deakin’s Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, you are surrounded by expansive grounds and impressive new buildings. It offers state-of-the-art engineering, medical and sport facilities, as well as some of the most advanced research spaces in the world. The campus also features incredible sporting facilities, including Deakin’s Elite Sport Precinct, which includes an Australian rules football oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, athletics track, basketball courts, and more.
Application Processing Time in Days: 5
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
IT is at the heart of innovation and productivity. It shapes the way we live, works, learns, communicates, socializes, and entertain ourselves. It’s no surprise then that IT graduates are in high demand globally. Information Technology gives you the contemporary knowledge, skills, and experience required for a successful and satisfying career as an IT professional.
Career opportunities include:
- application, software or game developer
- technical architect
- multimedia designer or developer
- solutions architect
- augmented reality creator
- mobile and apps developer
- network specialist
- project manager
- security architect
- UX designer
- web designer or developer.
Alternatively, you can apply your skills in non-traditional fields, such as healthcare, education, government, and business.
- Melbourne Campus - 2 years of Post Study Work Permit
- Geelong/ Warrnambool Campus - 3 years of Post Study Work Permit
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- (standard class XII):- 65%
Entry for applicants with recent secondary education (previous three years) will be based on their performance in a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, with pre-requisite units 3 and 4; a study score of at least 25 in English EAL (English as an additional language) or 20 in English other than EAL. Applicants will be selected in accordance with the published Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for that year.
Entry for applicants with previous Tertiary, VET, life, or work experience will be based on their performance in:
- a Certificate IV in a related discipline OR
- a Diploma in any discipline or 50% completion of a Diploma in a related discipline OR
- successful completion of relevant study at an accredited higher education institution equivalent to at least two Deakin University units OR
- other evidence of academic capability judged to be equivalent for example relevant work or life experience
When you apply to Deakin, it’s important to attach all requested supporting documentation, otherwise, your application could be delayed or disallowed.
Remember, most documents need to be certified before you upload them, so give yourself plenty of time to get organized.
Examples of certified copies you’ll need to include:
- award certificates
- academic transcripts
- formal identity papers (e.g. your passport).
Documents in languages other than English will need to be translated. If you’re applying for a scholarship, please also check the specific supporting documents for that application.
- Course Code: 053993D
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Design (Architecture)/Bachelor of Construction Management (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Artificial Intelligence at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Honours) at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Cyber Security at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering (Honours) at Deakin University