Latin American and Iberian Studies, BA
Upon completion of the Major in Latin American and Iberian Studies, students will be able to:
- Communicate proficiently, using all four skills (i.e. speaking, listening, reading, and writing), in academic, professional, and everyday settings in the language that is required by their selected track.1
- Conduct and disseminate academic research both orally and in writing in the language that is required by their selected track.
- Identify and analyze cultural representations of the languages, cultures, and societies of the Latin American and Iberian world, both their own and those produced by others, in accordance with academic standards.
- Document data and formulate concrete research questions in order to conduct academic research at the undergraduate level.
- Recognize and utilize appropriate methodologies in order to explicitly outline a research plan to conduct academic research at the undergraduate level.
- Produce scholarly work in dialogue with academic fields such as anthropology, history, and geography at undergraduate level.
- Apply pre-professional translation skills to a variety of documents in both directions, Spanish to English and English to Spanish.2
- Assess a variety of theoretical approaches to Translation Studies in order to adopt adequate methodologies for the translation of a variety of documents.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
- 12 to 36 months( OPT duration depends on the major studied)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
All UMass Boston applicants are asked to submit a personal essay. It gives you the opportunity to present yourself in a way that grades and test scores cannot. Our admissions counselors use your essay to determine your ability to organize your thoughts and express yourself clearly. Your essay may also be used to consider you for the Honors College and/or any scholarship opportunities for which you may qualify.
- Students who are attending or have graduated from a U.S. high school must submit SAT or ACT scores. Submission of TOEFL or IELTS scores is recommended.
- Students seeking full admission to electrical or computer engineering, management, or nursing programs are required to submit their SAT or ACT test scores.
- For students who have a recalculated grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and seek full admissions to the College of Liberal Arts or to the College of Science and Mathematics, SAT or ACT scores are optional but must meet the minimum TOEFL (79-80) or IELTS (6.0) scores required.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 12000 USD
Application Fee: 100 USD
- Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Theatre Arts, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Music, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- Labor Studies, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- International Relations, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston
- History, BA at University of Massachusetts Boston