Genetics MSci (Hons)
The study of genetics is an exciting and fast-moving field that is making an enormous impact in a range of scientific areas, including the understanding and treatment of many diseases, pharmaceutical development, evolution, and the conservation of biodiversity.
The 4 year MSci is an advanced undergraduate degree, adding a further research-focused year to a 3 year BSc. This will give you an in-depth knowledge of the fundamental building blocks of all life on earth. The MSci programme follows our BSc in Genetics course, but offers specialist training in a broad range of laboratory techniques. In the additional year you will develop an extended, research project.
You will learn techniques for analysing gene expression, protein interactions, DNA structure and damage, image analysis of biomolecules and cells, and advanced computer analytical methods.
You will develop excellent analytical and project management skills and learn how to design experiments and plan work programmes.
Singleton Park Campus
Travelling west on the M4 leave the motorway at junction 42 and follow signs for Swansea on the A483 (Fabian Way). On crossing the River Tawe the A483 becomes the A4067. Continue west along this road, passing Sainsbury’s Superstore on the left-hand side of the road. After approximately 1.5 miles there is a footbridge over the road. The University’s main entrance lies just before the footbridge and is controlled by traffic lights. As you approach the lights, keep to the right-hand lane and prepare to turn right into the University. There is a Visitors’ Car Park immediately right of the main entrance. There are large Park-and-Ride sites at Port Tennant and on the A483 east of Swansea, at Landore, on the A4067 north of the city. All sites are open from 7.00 am until 7.00 pm, Monday to Saturday.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Advice and guidance on postgraduate study and funding
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
- 2 Years PSW
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A-levels/Welsh Baccalaureate: AAB. Biology essential, plus at least one other science (usually Chemistry)
IB: 34 to include Higher Level grades in Biology, plus at least one other science (usually Chemistry)
As well as one of the above qualification types all applicants are required:
GCSE: English and Maths minimum Grade C Wales (England Pre-2017) or Grade 4 (England Post-2017)
We accept Swansea University approved equivalent qualifications.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- Pure Mathematics, BSc (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Philosophy, BA (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Mathematics with a Foundation Year, BSc (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Mathematics, BSc (Hons) With a Year Abroad/ a Year In Industry at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Mathematics, BSc (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY
- Chemistry with a Foundation Year, BSc (Hons) at SWANSEA UNIVERSITY