PhD in Creative Arts (Doctor of Philosophy)
Become an independent and highly sought-after researcher with a Doctoral Degree (PhD) in Creative Arts at Victoria University.
PhD in Creative Arts program
We offer an advanced research program for our doctoral degree in the arts, across our research focus areas.
Conduct original research in an area of interest to you and of broader significance to VU, industry and the community. This research will inform your creative work. You will be assisted by an experienced research supervisory team.
The PhD includes:
- producing a creative work informed by substantial research
- an accompanying analytical written component or exegesis (thesis by creative project)
- a component of required coursework, usually undertaken in the first year
- participation in both formal and informal learning opportunities.
- Our learning opportunities enable you to develop your research skills and other generic and transferable skills.
You will also learn to be an effective communicator through the presentation and defence of your research in a wide variety of contexts such as:
refereed academic outlets appropriate to your field (e.g. ranked journals, academic conferences, book chapters, monographs)
public presentation to broader audiences.
Footscray Park Campus is next to parklands along the Maribyrnong River, a short walk from Footscray Station. Footscray is one of Melbourne’s multicultural hubs, only 10 minutes by train from the city. The campus has restaurants and cafes, learning commons, world-class sports science facilities, a bookshop, and a pool and gym. It hosts many of our degree and postgraduate courses, including in business, sport, youth and community work, science, engineering and education.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
PhD graduates are prepared for a wide range of roles in government or the public service, community and non-government organisations and media.
Our graduates often go on to work in the following areas:
- journalism, writing or strategic communications
- arts administration and management
- government and policy work
- community sector professional roles
- creative arts.
- 4 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Master’s degree with thesis;
- admissible bachelor degree Completed with a degree classification (as awarded on degree certificate) of first Division with Distinction (70%).
English Language Requirement
- Achieved an IELTS, (Academic Module) result with an overall score of 6.5 (no band less than 6) or equivalent and completed a Masters degree or a relevant four year undergraduate degree with Honours or its equivalent at a high standard.
- Course Code: 084126B
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Doctoral Degree/PhD
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A