Bachelor of Biomedical Science
The Bachelor of Biomedical Science degree provides you with an in-depth knowledge of how the human body functions, focusing on physiology, anatomy and cell biology, preparing you for an exciting future in the health sector.
You can utilise this course to embark on an exciting career in biomedical research or for entry into postgraduate health courses, including postgraduate medicine.
The course will provide you with a strong foundation in the medical sciences, and advanced laboratory skills through hands on practical experimentation and online interactive learning.
The new curriculum offers a quality syllabus that emphasises critical thinking and active learning via an inquiry team-based learning – a strategy producing skilled, knowledgeable and lifelong learners. In addition, you will build on intellectual, analytical, organisational, personal and interpersonal skills.
You will gain in-depth understanding of how the body works from the molecular level through to physiological functions. Students will expand and apply knowledge of human biomedical science, to the causes, diagnosis and treatment of disease at molecular, cellular and system levels. Core areas of study include:
- cell biology
- medical microbiology
- molecular biology
- human genetics.
St Albans Campus
Our St Albans Campus is a hub for health and nutrition research. It also specialises in arts and science programs. Our nursing and biomedical science students complete a large part of their studies at the new teaching and research centre at Sunshine Hospital alongside medical professionals. The campus has a modern community feel and is set in gardens of native grasses and gum trees. It’s a relaxed, friendly place to study, with a children’s centre, a gym, and award-winning architecture.
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
On completion of this course you will be prepared for entry into a constantly changing local and global biomedical workforce or for postgraduate study. You will have developed capabilities in critical analysis, communication and laboratory skills – essential for becoming successful professionals in both research and clinical based biomedical science.
Alternatively, a biomedical science degree is a prerequisite for postgraduate medicine (subject to meeting pre-requisites) and a pathway entry into other allied health courses, such as, physiotherapy, dentistry or osteopathy.
- medical researcher
- scientific journalist
- medical laboratory scientist
- science laboratory specialist.
ORGANISATIONS EMPLOYING BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES GRADUATES
Biomedical sciences graduates can find work in pharmaceutical or nutrition companies, hospitals and medical clinics, and research organisations.
Students may be employed in technical and scientific positions on research projects funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council and other agencies in government and private sector laboratories in universities, hospitals and pharmaceutical companies.
You could enter a vast range of health-related industries upon graduating,including:
- medical research
- genetic engineering
- the pharmaceutical industry
- pharmaceutical/medical sales
- laboratory technology.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Completion of an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate (VCE or equivalent) including Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 25 in English (EAL) or 20 in any other English (or equivalent).
- A study score of 20 of one of the following: Biology, Chemistry, Health and Human Development, any Mathematics or Physical Education.
- Completion of an Australian Advanced Diploma or Diploma (or equivalent).
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
- IELTS (or equivalent): Overall score or 6.0 (with no band less than 6.0 in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking).
- Completion of a Foundation course or equivalent.
- Course Code: 092499F
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 03 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Bachelor of Sport Science (Human Movement) / Bachelor of Sport Management at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Sport Science (Human Movement) / Bachelor of Psychological Studies at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Sport Science at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Sport Management / Bachelor of Business at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Sport Management at Victoria University
- Bachelor of Science (Osteopathy) at Victoria University