Master of Creative Writing
The MCW is for writers working on a large-scale creative writing project: a novel, short story collection, full-length work of creative nonfiction, or poetry collection.
The program is convened by the award-winning novelist and short story writer, Paula Morris. Acclaimed poet Selina Tusitala Marsh co-supervises poets in the programme.
The best portfolio each year wins the Sir James Wallace Master of Creative Writing Prize of $5,000, New Zealand’s richest prize for a creative writing student.
The City Campus is right in the heart of Auckland. You are within walking distance of all the main cultural, entertainment and commercial hubs.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
This programme will equip you with the skills you need to finish your book through putting pen to paper. Our graduates have published books with a range of publishers including Penguin Random House, Bloomsbury, Auckland University Press, Huia and USP Press. These graduates include Linda Olsson, Emily Perkins, John Adams, Sonja Yelich and Renee Liang.
You can apply for a Post-study Work Visa for up to 3 years.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
The MCW is a highly competitive programme.
You should have a book project in mind or already underway and demonstrate a clear creative focus and accomplishment in your chosen genre.
To enrol in a MCW you need to have completed one of the following at a recognised university (or similar institution):
- A four-year bachelors degree
- An honours degree
- A three-year bachelors degree, and a professional qualification in writing or at least three years of professional experience in writing
Professional experience can include previously published creative writing, working in a field involving writing such as journalism or copywriting, involvement in writers’ groups or participation in writing events.
You will also need to submit a portfolio of creative writing that is judged by the convenor to be of sufficient standard for entry into the programme.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: 100 NZD
- Master of Urban Planning (Professional) and Urban Design at University of Auckland
- Master of Urban Planning (Professional) and Heritage Conservation at University of Auckland
- Master of Urban Planning (Professional) at University of Auckland
- Master of Urban Planning at University of Auckland
- Master of Urban Design at University of Auckland
- Master of Theology at University of Auckland