Translation Studies MSc
Offering students the opportunity to focus on two languages, in addition to English, the University of Edinburgh is the ideal place to study translation.
Our one-year, full-time taught Masters programme will enhance your practical skills in, and theoretical understanding of, translation as an activity. It can also be completed part-time over two years.
Taught through a combination of seminars, tutorials, student-led presentations and written exercises, the programme encourages critical thinking on language use and translation and an understanding of the factors which impact on the discipline, introducing you to major concepts in translation theory and showing you how to apply them in translation practice.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
Our programme is designed to enhance your industry skills in translation, with practical exercises throughout the year, and a strong emphasis on communication and working to deadline.
We have excellent links with the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) and are an official member of the SDL University Partner Program, providing students with the necessary knowledge, expertise and resources to help prepare for a career in the translation industry.
Completing our MSc will also help you develop and refine your research skills, and theoretical understanding of translation, in ways that will prepare you for further postgraduate study, should you wish to continue your career in an academic environment.
- 2 years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline, plus a research interest or professional experience in translation or another relevant field.
Applicants must have native speaker competence in any languages that they apply to work with other than English.
Postgraduate entry requirements for students from India.
In order to qualify for entry to master’s study at the University of Edinburgh, you must have a good degree from a highly ranked university in India.
- Entry requirements will vary, depending on the intended programme of study. However, the minimum score you should have achieved is 60% or more in your Bachelor's study.
- We may also accept equivalent qualifications or work experience.
- Applicants who meet this minimum may be considered for entry and will be measured competitively against other applicants. For many of our programmes, competition is high and in the majority of cases, a very high First Class degree will be required. Certain programmes will also have specific requirements in terms of both the overall degree result and strengths in particular subjects which are seen as relevant to that degree.
Graduate entry to Medicine (MBChB)
Applicants with an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline will be considered for the 6 year programme.
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Speech and Language Processing MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Spanish, Portuguese & Latin American Studies (Hispanic Studies) MScR at The University of Edinburgh
- Russian MScR at The University of Edinburgh
- Mind, Language and Embodied Cognition MSc at The University of Edinburgh
- Linguistics MSc at The University of Edinburgh