PGCE EARLY YEARS (3-7)
This full-time, one-year course is designed to train you to be a primary teacher with a focus on children aged 3 to 7.
You will focus on teaching at Key Stage 1 and the course will prepare you to take up a position in nurseries or schools.
The course runs from September to July and you’ll spend the majority of this time (at least 24 weeks) on placement in schools.
Why study this course?
This degree includes Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) so you can qualify as a primary teacher in just one year.
You’ll gain a wealth of experience in different placement schools.
The programme is taught by experienced and enthusiastic tutors, in partnership with mentors and teachers in local schools, who will support you throughout the year.
It is taught at Master’s level which will allow you to gain up to 60 credits towards a Master’s qualification in the future.
By the end of the course, you’ll be a reflective practitioner equipped to continue your professional learning throughout your career.
We are offering a £1000 bursary for Chichester alumni students continuing their studies with a PGCE.
The PGCE programme is taught in close partnership with a range of primary schools. During the course, you will experience a number of different placements. These include:
Two 8 to 10-week placements where you will take on increasing responsibility for teaching.
At the start of the course, you will be teaching small groups of pupils. By the end, you’ll be teaching subjects across the primary curriculum to a whole class. During the extended placements, you will be supported by a school-based mentor and a link tutor from the University.
The maximum travel time that we allow for these teaching placements is one hour in each direction from your term-time address to the placement school (assuming your term-time address is within our partnership area).
In addition to the two extended placements, you will have three short group placements. You will spend:
4 days in a reception class
2 weeks in a key stage class and
2 weeks in a special school
A key aim of these placements is to develop your understanding of progression, inclusion and signature pedagogy.
Bognor Regis Campus
Situated just five minutes from the sea, our Bognor Regis Campus boasts the £35m Tech Park which was opened by their Royal Highnesses, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It is our flagship building which is home to our Engineering and Design and Creative Digital Technologies Departments. In addition to this, we have beautiful Georgian architecture including three grand mansion houses amongst our other modern teaching facilities. Bognor Regis is well known for its long stretch of coastline, with a mixture of sandy and pebble beaches and with just a five minute walk from campus, there no excuse not to visit. The Bognor Regis campus is also close to Hotham Park, a beautiful 22 acre public park. The park surrounds Hotham House, built in 1792 by Sir Richard Hotham, and regarded by many as one of the finest Georgian houses in Sussex. The famous Butlins Bognor Regis resort lies at the eastern end of the promenade and is the largest holiday centre in the South of England.
Application Processing Time in Days: 30
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
We’re a friendly and professional team, dedicated to helping students and graduates to plan their futures, to learn about the world of work and meet employers.
There are many ways employers may get involved with the University and meet the talent of our students and graduates.
The Careers and Employability team can help with finding work or postgraduate study, developing connections and skills, going freelance or starting a business. We’ll assist with searching for jobs, choosing a career, completing and sharpening an application form or CV.
2 Years PSW is applicable after the course.(Bachelors & Masters only)
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Bachelor of Arts / Science / Commerce from a central university, recognised state university
A centre of advanced study, 3 or 4 years duration– Minimum 50% Average percentage of final 2 years result used.
MPhil or PhD
The normal requirement for an MPhil is a good honours degree (First or Upper-Second class) or a relevant Masters degree. For a PhD the normal entry requirement is an MPhil.
Chichester runs a Pre-PhD Research Study Programme whereby applicants register for six tutorials at low cost in order to carry out various feasibility studies, including some testing of interest, materials, methods and resolve.
Degree: honours degree at 2:2 or higher in a related discipline.
- All applicants must hold an honours degree or equivalent qualification. The majority of successful applicants will have a 2:2 or above degree but we do accept applicants with a lower classification but an otherwise strong application.
- Your personal statement is important; it should convince us that you are serious about teaching as a career. You will need to demonstrate a strong awareness of the complex role of the teacher in supporting learning. You should ensure that you make reference to any voluntary or paid experiences in schools or early years settings.
- All applicants must have GCSE passes in English, mathematics and science at grade C / 4 or above. We will consider applicants who are taking the relevant GCSEs whilst applying.
- We would normally expect applicants to have taken and passed the full GCSE course, however in some circumstances we do accept equivalent qualifications or equivalency tests. If you are unable to enrol for the full GCSE course, please contact Admissions to discuss which equivalent qualification we may accept.
- You will be required to attend an interview
- Satisfactory occupational health and enhanced DBS check required
- If English is not your first language then English language proficiency required is an overall IELTS score of 7.0 (including 7.0 in academic writing) other components no less than 6.5 – or equivalent qualification.
- Course Code: 3DHN
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 9207 GBP
Application Fee: N/A