Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Animation
The Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Animation gives students with a passion for visual arts, drawing and storytelling the knowledge and hands-on experience required to create animation work that stands out in a global industry.
Graduates from this degree are image-makers, critical thinkers and storytellers in equal measure. They are equipped to be industry leaders with the ability to develop, pitch and defend ideas, creating original content for TV, film, advertising and other media. Students learn how to observe the world around them, drawing directly from life to gain inspiration for characters and stories. They discover how to think creatively and develop ideas through multiple stages, focusing on character development, narrative and performance. They also learn the fundamental 2D and 3D animation skills that bring their stories to life.
At UTS, students also benefit from outstanding industry connections. Across the degree, students have the opportunity to work with live projects, such as VIVID or collaborations with the Australia Piano Quartet. UTS also has strong relationships with leading industry players such as Flying Bark Productions and Animal Logic.
The academic team understands that teamwork is at the heart of the animation industry. A studio-led approach creates a high-intensity environment where students learn how to work with their peers in a professional and collaborative atmosphere.
The honours year allows exploration through the completion of an independent animated film/project.
As a City campus, UTS not only offers a range of great services and facilities across our buildings, but across our vibrant, local precinct. For a snapshot of everything our campus and precinct has to offer - including where all the cafes are at UTS
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
The course opens up animation careers in film, television, and online and mobile application design. Options include: director, producer, storyboard artist, previsualisation (previs) artist, layout artist, concept artist, production designer, art director, character designer, animator, modeller, rigger, motion capture designer, lighting designer, matchmover/3D tracker, effects (FX) animator, roto designer, compositor, stop frame model animator (claymation), and animation scriptwriter.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline at an appropriate level.
All applicants must provide a digital PDF pitch proposal of up to 12 slides in landscape format. This should clearly demonstrate a minimum of two concepts for the production of a film or related creative outcome to be made during the honours year, and should contain the following items:
- clear source material for the concepts (this can include an existing text, a piece of music or sound design)
- a synopsis of up to 100 words
- a one-page sample script
- a two-page sample storyboard
- visual and conceptual research
- iterations of character and world design
- a list of all co-creators as known and the composition of the applicant's team
- a 200–300-word statement addressing the applicant's reasons for undertaking honours-level study in design at UTS and the specific learning that they are seeking given their intended career direction on completion of the degree
- a one-page CV in PDF format that clearly articulates the applicant's design or related experience.
Applicants who completed the course four or more years ago and non-UTS applicants should additionally provide a verified copy of their previous academic transcript.
Students must refer to the inherent requirements for all degrees offered by Design and Architecture in the Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building.
Minimum English Language Requirements
- Academic IELTS: 7.0 overall with a writing score of 7.0;
- TOEFL: TOEFL: paper based: 584-609 overall with TWE of 5.0, internet based: 94-101 overall with a writing score of 27;
- AE6: Pass;
- PTE: 65-72;
- CAE: 185-190
For More Information Please Contact to Our Counselor.
- Course Code: 074705K
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 24505 AUD
Application Fee: 100 AUD
- Bachelor of Communication (Media Arts and Production) Bachelor of Arts in International Studies at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation - (C10324) at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Global Studies at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Product Design at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Visual Communication at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Fashion and Textiles at University of Technology Sydney (UTS)