Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Sustainable Civil Engineering
What is Sustainable Civil Engineering?
Civil Engineers are increasingly working to achieve safe and sustainable development in a cost-effective, environmentally protective, and socially responsible manner. They utilize engineering principles to enhance the built and natural environment and contribute to environmental protection and remediation, water conservation, environmental biotechnology, materials and infrastructure development.
The completion of a civil engineering project involves the solution of technical problems from which the cooperation among professionals of many different disciplines is needed. From conceptual design to forensic study of failed performance, civil engineers need the mathematical, scientific and computational tools to solve problems associated with developing and sustaining a civilised community. Central to the current and future civil engineering profession is the core issue of ‘sustainability’.
What is the BEng (Hons) in Sustainable Civil Engineering course?
The BEng (Hons) in sustainable Civil Engineering is a full-time, four year, honours degree course of study that can be chosen within the Engineering Common Entry Route. This honours degree course is at NQAI Level 8 and has been designed to produce graduates who can successfully operate as civil engineers in the future Irish and global engineering and construction industry. The overall context to the course is the key theme of ‘sustainability’. The graduates will be conscious of the vital influence that civil engineers will increasingly have on achieving the various sustainability targets at national, EU and international levels. The course is accredited by Engineers Ireland, meeting the academic requirements for Chartered Engineer status.
The course is designed in a modular format to facilitate integration with other engineering and built environment courses. It will be offered in the full-time mode but the modular structure enhances the flexibility in the methods by which the course can be delivered and taken. The full-time course is of four years duration with each year divided into two semesters. Integral to the course is a six month industrial placement where students acquire industry experience relevant to their programme of study. Students undertake placement with building and civil engineering contractors, engineering design offices and specialist contractors. Students develop skills relevant in the workplace and gain an appreciation of business and industry practice.
Application Processing Time in Days: 10
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
WIT’s award-winning Careers Development Centre is the main point of contact for:
- Students and graduates, helping you explore your options, develop your employability skills and make successful job applications
- Academic Staff, supporting you to equip your students with the skills they need to enhance their employability and succeed in their future careers
- Employers interested in securing the recruitment of well educated, career orientated, informed graduates
The Careers Development Centre supports the Institute in providing opportunities for students and graduates to develop the skills and attributes required to manage their careers throughout their working lives.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
- You should be at least 17 years of age in January of the year of entry.
- You must have a Secondary/High School Diploma, with good grades in English and Mathematics and at least 4 other subjects, on average + 60%.
- Some courses have special entry requirements, which you should check under the course details.
For More Information Please Connect Our PSA Counselor
- Course Code: WD007 SCE
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Bachelors/UG Degree
- Duration: 04 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 7650 EUR
Application Fee: 50 EUR
- Bachelor of Science Information Technology at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Architectural & Building Information Modelling Technology at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science Architectural Technology at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Architecture (Honours) Architecture at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Quantity Surveying at Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) Construction Management & Engineering at Waterford Institute of Technology