Master of Philosophy (Fine Art)
Why a PhD or Research Masters in Fine Art at Newcastle?
Fine Art incorporates studios in photomedia, sculpture, painting, printmaking, ceramics, fibres and textiles, and art history/theory. The University of Newcastle encourages cross-and trans-disciplinary practice, new media and reflexive practice.
PhD and Masters by Research students will benefit from our national and international reputation in creative work, scholarly research and teaching.
Newcastle's studios and teaching spaces are second to none, including state-of-the-art photomedia facilities, airy painting studios, the only university foundry on the east coast of Australia, over a dozen kilns, as well as printing and papermaking machines.
Graduate research students get the chance to materialise their ideas using technology they otherwise couldn't access, such as our laser cutter or paint labs. Our dedicated student gallery, Watt Space, also offers students the opportunity to exhibit in Newcastle city centre.
Fine Art at UON has a strong record of engagement with practice as research, the art/science nexus, arts/health, and community engagement.
WHAT YOU CAN RESEARCH
Research proposals are invited in the following areas:
- material studies
- queer studies
- the abject
- art and environment
- art and science
- place and memory
- digital media and multi-media practice
Methodologies include practice as research, as well as trans- and cross-disciplinary methodologies.
Application Processing Time in Days: 21
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
- 3 Years
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
SECTION 17 - ADMISSION - REQUIREMENTS
(1)To be considered for admission to the University, Higher Degree by Research applicants will be required to:
have met the relevant English language proficiency requirements as described in the English Proficiency Policy.
have satisfied the minimum academic requirements described in the relevant Award and Program Schedules;
have met any other additional admission requirements that may be prescribed by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation);
be a minimum of 16 years of age at 1 March of the year of admission. Applicants under the age of 16 years may apply directly to the Vice-Chancellor for consideration.
(2) The Assistant Dean (Research Training) is authorised to prescribe additional admission requirements when considering an admission to candidature. This may include a requirement for the applicant to undertake an examination(s) or carry out such work as prescribed.
(3) The Assistant Dean (Research Training) is authorised to refuse admission to candidature when appropriate supervision and resources are not available. Whether appropriate supervision and resources are available will be determined by the Assistant Dean (Research Training) on recommendation from the School.
For More Information Please Connect To Our PSA Counselor.
- Course Code: 023083B
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Masters/PG Degree
- Duration: 02 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 21041 AUD
Application Fee: N/A
- Master of Philosophy (Natural History Illustration) at University of Newcastle
- Master of Philosophy (Physical Geography) at University of Newcastle
- Master of Philosophy (Music) at University of Newcastle
- Master of Philosophy (Human Geography) at University of Newcastle
- Master of Philosophy (Drama) at University of Newcastle
- Master of Philosophy (Design) at University of Newcastle