Postgraduate Diploma in Rehabilitation Psychology
Rehabilitation psychology focuses on helping individuals adjust to life following physical illness or injury. The Postgraduate Diploma in Rehabilitation Psychology serves as a pathway towards registration as a psychologist in New Zealand.
Develop skills in working with people recovering from illness or injury, including spinal cord injury, stroke, traumatic brain injury, respiratory conditions, neuromuscular conditions, burns as well as sports-related or everyday muscular or orthopedic injuries. You further your ability to communicate effectively and work within interdisciplinary healthcare teams, employers and the person’s family/wh?nau to optimize patient outcomes.
AUT NORTH CAMPUS
Our North Campus is on Auckland’s North Shore and offers facilities including student accommodation, cafes and our biggest sports centre.
- March Deadline: May
Application Processing Time in Days: 20
Minimum English Language Requirements
|English Level Description||IELTS (1.0 -9.0)||TOEFL IBT (0-120)||TOEFL CBT (0-300)||PTE (10-90)|
|Extremely Limited||< 4||< 31||< 93||< 30|
Job Opportunity Potential
As well as being able to work as a registered psychologist, students can use the qualification to undertake careers as:
- Rehabilitation researchers
- Policy advisors
- Service managers
- Rehabilitation support workers
- Rehabilitation counsellors
- Consultants working in district health boards and for the ACC, long-term care facilities, disability support organisations, correctional facilities, schools and other private rehabilitation providers
Your qualification at level 7 or higher is acceptable if your course lasted 30 weeks or more.
Admission Requirement / Eligibility Criteria
Minimum entry requirements
Must have completed the following or equivalent:
- Master of Health Science with a specialisation in Psychology including a 90-point thesis and have passed PSYC805 Rehabilitation Psychology and one other rehabilitation focused paper; OR
- Relevant master’s degree in psychology (including a 90 point thesis) and have passed the papers PSYC805 Rehabilitation Psychology and one other rehabilitation focused paper; OR
- Relevant master’s degree in psychology and papers equivalent to those listed above
- Students who successfully complete the Bachelor of Health Science (Honours) in Psychology, followed by the Master of Health Science in Psychology – Rehabilitation psychology may apply for enrolment in the Postgraduate Diploma in Rehabilitation Psychology.
Students will be selected following an interview process, subject to registration with the NZ Psychologists’ Board as an intern psychologist, and the securement of a suitable internship position (AUT has a number of internship providers, but students can also arrange their own).
- May be required to meet the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act (HPCA Act) and Children's Act 2014 requirements and other relevant legislation
- Course Code: AK3940
- Course Type: Full Time
- Course Level: Post Graduate Diploma or Certificate
- Duration: 01 Year
Total Tuition Fee:
Annual Cost of Living: 15000 NZD
Application Fee: N/A
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Sport, Exercise and Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Public Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Health Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT)